- State Editions ˅
- Cover Story
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
Hardik Patel, 59 others booked for rioting at BJP councillor’s house
The 24-year-old leader of Patidar Anamant Andolan Samiti (PAAS), Hardik Patel and 59 others were booked in a case of rioting at a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) councilor’s house in the wee hours of Monday.
According to police, Hardik and 59 others had gathered at House of Paresh Patel, Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation councillor from Vastral at around 2.00 am. They had gathered there to protest against arrest of one of their associates Krunal Patel, against whom Paresh Patel had filed a complaint of posting an objectionable message on social media.
Patel and his associates allegedly set BJP flag on fire and the councillor in his FIR claimed that he was issued a death threat too. The police is learnt to have arrested 11 persons in the case and is said to be on the lookout for Hardik and his other associates.
Meanwhile, Krunal Patel, on being released on bail alleged that he was beaten up by the police. PAAS, on the other hand, in a statement said that the gherao of councillor’s house was just a “trailer” and if need be they would even gherao chief minister’s house. PAAS led by Hardik is demanding reservation in government jobs and education institutes under OBC category since July 2015.
- Aadhaar cards seized from Rohingya Muslims in Jammu 25 Mar 2017 | Mohit Kandhari
- NSCN(IM) talks: Muivah’s claim triggers protests in Assam 25 Mar 2017 | Anup Sharma
- Petrol, beer to become dearer in Goa 25 Mar 2017 | Mayabhushan
- Didi dares BJP to ‘raid Bengal’ 25 Mar 2017 | Saugar Sengupta
- Maha docs assure HC to resume work today 25 Mar 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- BJP’s protest march against Telangana minority quota foiled 25 Mar 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Telangana Government to get Aseemanand’s bail cancelled 25 Mar 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Not every educated person gets job: Court 25 Mar 2017 | PTI
- SC seeks EC response to PIL on EVM security 25 Mar 2017 | PNS
- Apex Court calls for closure records in anti-Sikh riots cases 25 Mar 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
19 Mar 2017 | Rajesh Singh
Is the marginalisation of the two caste-based parties in Uttar Pradesh a harbinger of change — from identity politics to the politics of development? If we take the 2014 and 2017 elections together, that does seem to be the suggestion, writes RAJESH SINGH Understanding an election result as monumental as that of Uttar Pradesh is akin to unravelling a deep thriller plot. The why, when, where, how and what — this...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Mar 2017 | PNS | Lucknow
Chief Minister Adityanath Yogi carried out a minor reshuffle in five ministers on Friday. A government spokesman said that Labour minister Swamy Prasad Maurya has been given additional charge of Co-ordination ministry while he has been divested of Urban employment and poverty alleviation and the charge of these ministries have been given to Urban Development minister Suresh Khanna...