Heat kills jumbo, hits wildlife in Karnataka
The scorching heat and prevailing drought conditions in Karnataka has taken its toll on the wildlife. A 15-year-old elephant has been reported dead at the Satnur range forest due to suspected dehydration telling the tale of heat wave and drought prevailing in the State.
According to forest officials, the elephant was found unconscious in Deviramanadoddi village near Sathanur in Kanakapura taluk of Ramanagara district. They said that the elephant might have entered the village in search of water. The elephant was dehydrated, which led to its death on April 13 evening.
Range Forest Officer K Shivaram said that immediately after getting the information officers and a team of doctors were rushed to the spot. But it could not be saved.
Though prima facie dehydration might have caused death, the exact reason could be ascertained only after getting the post-mortem report, officials said.
According to reports, the male elephant had wandered off to the village possibly in search of water. The elephant was dehydrated, which led to its death, hours after it was found lying unconscious.
K Shivaram said “We got a call at about 7.15 am about an elephant having fainted in the village. Luckily, we were already on the field and I rushed with doctors to the spot by7.45 am.”
The officials suspect that the elephant must have come to the village on Wednesday night in search of water, but fell unconscious after it failed to find water the whole night.
Shivaram said that the Forest Department had created ponds in Madivala, Bande-
gudu, Shivapuradoddi and Mugguru as early as October last year. However, he added that such ponds could not
be created deep in the forests.
Karnataka has highest number of elephants and tigers apart from other flora and fauna. The severe drought conditions prevailing in the State has affected the wildlife and the death of this elephant is a warning to save them.
- Inbrief 25 May 2017 | PNS
- Arm college girls with knives to protect them from rape, Andhra told 25 May 2017 | PTI
- PM pitches for criminal tracking network systems 25 May 2017 | PTI
- Jaitley: Army officers free to take decisions in war-like zone 25 May 2017 | PTI
- Over 3K mosques in TN to get 4,900 tonnes free rice during Ramzan 25 May 2017 | PTI
- Cut-offs for PG courses through NEET to be cut by 7.5 percentile 25 May 2017 | PTI
- HC grants interim stay on publication of NEET result 25 May 2017 | PTI
- India plans tsunami warning system for South China Sea 25 May 2017 | PTI
- 2008 Ahmedabad serial blasts accused held in Kozhikode 25 May 2017 | PTI
- With three CMs in 9 months, governance in TN takes a hit 25 May 2017 | Kumar Chellappan
Sunday EditionView All
21 May 2017 | PTI | Jamshedpur
Protest against lynching of four persons intensified today and the police had to fire in the air to disperse a mob, while prohibitory orders under Section 144 were imposed in four areas here for tonight. Police fired in the air to disperse a mob that blocked roads in Mango area, demanding arrest of culprits involved in the lynching of four persons of a community at Rajnagar in Seraikela-Kharswan district on Thursday...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | Naya Raipur
There will be 14 minor bridges constructed including a major bridge on the proposed railway track between Mandirhasaud, Naya Raipur and Kendri in the new capital region, officials informed. Notably, Naya Raipur has emerged in the country with the largest land bank of a mammoth 237 square kilometres ( 23,700 hectares), officials stated...