India seeks details of Jadhav trial, appeal process from Pakistan
With time running short for an appeal in the court in ex-Indian Navy official Kulbhushan Jadhav’s case, India has officially sought from Pakistan the details of his trial proceedings and the process for appeal in the case.
Besides, India also made a fresh request for consular access to Jadhav on Wednesday through a note verbale handed over to Pakistan deputy High Commissioner Haider Shah. This is India’s 15th request for Consular access to Jadhav. Pakistan is yet to respond to India’s requests on Jadhav, who has been given death penalty by a Pakistan Army’s Field General Court Martial (FGCM) on charges of spying. Jadhav was awarded death sentence on April 10, 2017 and has 60 days to appeal.
Ten days have already passed after the FGCM order and India has not got any formal response to its request for copy order, chargesheet and trial proceedings. India has also asked for summary of evidence and medical report of Jadhav and sought Pakistan for assistance with a lawyer to defend Jadhav in the appeal court. In addition, India has also sought visas for Jadhav’s family members to visit Pakistan for the legal process.
External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Gopal Baglay said on Thursday that India awaits formal response from Pakistan to its demands. “Kulbhushan Jadhav’s health and his condition is a matter of concern for us. We don’t know anything about Jadhav’s location or condition in Pakistan,” Baglay said.
- Akhilesh questions Yogi Govt’s feats in 100 days in power 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Visit of NDA Prez pick delays White Paper release 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
- JD(S) to support UPA nominee Meira Kumar 26 Jun 2017 | KESTUR VASUKI
- Kovind kickstarts campaign from Lucknow 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Pak Army fires mortar shells, targets civilians on eve of Eid 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Ahmedabad Rath Yatra showcases communal harmony 26 Jun 2017 | Nayan Dave
- Attack on George Baker: BJP demands Mamata’s scalp 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Won’t let polls happen in Darj: GJM 26 Jun 2017 | Saugar Sengupta
- Puducherry tussle: MHA clears air on L-G powers 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Swamy wants status quo for Hindu bodies 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
25 Jun 2017 | Shipra Parashar/ Srishti Garg | New Delhi
With Delhi University declaring its first cut-off list on Friday, SGTB Khalsa college came out with the highest 99.66 per cent for BSc (Hons) Electronics...
STATE EDITIONSView All
26 Jun 2017 | PNS | Nainital
The Shipra river which flows towards the north, contrary to most rivers, has been degenerated into a sewer with garbage being dumped in the river apart from the sewer. After concerned locals cleaned up the riverbed despite apathy of the local body, the district administration has taken cognisance of the issue and directed action against those polluting this river...