India seeks details of Jadhav trial, appeal process from Pakistan
With time running short for an appeal in the court in ex-Indian Navy official Kulbhushan Jadhav’s case, India has officially sought from Pakistan the details of his trial proceedings and the process for appeal in the case.
Besides, India also made a fresh request for consular access to Jadhav on Wednesday through a note verbale handed over to Pakistan deputy High Commissioner Haider Shah. This is India’s 15th request for Consular access to Jadhav. Pakistan is yet to respond to India’s requests on Jadhav, who has been given death penalty by a Pakistan Army’s Field General Court Martial (FGCM) on charges of spying. Jadhav was awarded death sentence on April 10, 2017 and has 60 days to appeal.
Ten days have already passed after the FGCM order and India has not got any formal response to its request for copy order, chargesheet and trial proceedings. India has also asked for summary of evidence and medical report of Jadhav and sought Pakistan for assistance with a lawyer to defend Jadhav in the appeal court. In addition, India has also sought visas for Jadhav’s family members to visit Pakistan for the legal process.
External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Gopal Baglay said on Thursday that India awaits formal response from Pakistan to its demands. “Kulbhushan Jadhav’s health and his condition is a matter of concern for us. We don’t know anything about Jadhav’s location or condition in Pakistan,” Baglay said.
- All is not well with TDP-BJP alliance in AP! 24 May 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Faction fighting in TDP rears its ugly head again 24 May 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Shatrughan-Sushil Twitter war effort to gain lost status? 24 May 2017 | Faizan Ahmad
- Partnership with TMC limited to Prez polls: Bengal Congress 24 May 2017 | Saugar Sengupta
- Shiv Sena protests over Karnataka Min’s threat to Marathi-speaking MLAs 24 May 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- 2 years of AIADMK Govt: Uncertainty looms large 24 May 2017 | Kumar Chellappan
- Modi for cooperation between African nations, India 24 May 2017 | Nayan Dave
- Local leaders’ laxity in implementing road map upsets BJP chief 24 May 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Shah begins work to win Telangana to conquer South 24 May 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Cong lauds Army for action across LoC 24 May 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
21 May 2017 | PTI | Jamshedpur
Protest against lynching of four persons intensified today and the police had to fire in the air to disperse a mob, while prohibitory orders under Section 144 were imposed in four areas here for tonight. Police fired in the air to disperse a mob that blocked roads in Mango area, demanding arrest of culprits involved in the lynching of four persons of a community at Rajnagar in Seraikela-Kharswan district on Thursday...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 May 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
Acting on information received on stacking of foreign exchange in violation of rules, possession of assets disproportionate to sources of income and unaccounted- for money and others, the vigilance sleuths of Enforcement Directorate reportedly swooped down on a well-known chain of shops- Kumar Store- located at Nashvila Road, GMS Road and Rajpur Road in Dehradun on Tuesday. The raids started from 1 pm and continued till evening...