India seeks details of Jadhav trial, appeal process from Pakistan
With time running short for an appeal in the court in ex-Indian Navy official Kulbhushan Jadhav’s case, India has officially sought from Pakistan the details of his trial proceedings and the process for appeal in the case.
Besides, India also made a fresh request for consular access to Jadhav on Wednesday through a note verbale handed over to Pakistan deputy High Commissioner Haider Shah. This is India’s 15th request for Consular access to Jadhav. Pakistan is yet to respond to India’s requests on Jadhav, who has been given death penalty by a Pakistan Army’s Field General Court Martial (FGCM) on charges of spying. Jadhav was awarded death sentence on April 10, 2017 and has 60 days to appeal.
Ten days have already passed after the FGCM order and India has not got any formal response to its request for copy order, chargesheet and trial proceedings. India has also asked for summary of evidence and medical report of Jadhav and sought Pakistan for assistance with a lawyer to defend Jadhav in the appeal court. In addition, India has also sought visas for Jadhav’s family members to visit Pakistan for the legal process.
External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Gopal Baglay said on Thursday that India awaits formal response from Pakistan to its demands. “Kulbhushan Jadhav’s health and his condition is a matter of concern for us. We don’t know anything about Jadhav’s location or condition in Pakistan,” Baglay said.
- Triple talaq issue reached SC because AIMPLB failed to act, says Bukhari 23 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Survivors recount Muzaffarnagar train tragedy 23 Aug 2017 | PTI
- China dashes Rajnath‚Äôs hope of early solution 23 Aug 2017 | PTI
- India welcomes Trump‚Äôs pledge to confront terrorism 23 Aug 2017 | PNS
- Make development a mass movement: Modi 23 Aug 2017 | PNS/Agencies
- Parl panel calls for national database of corrupt PMGSY contractors 23 Aug 2017 | Archana Jyoti
- It will liberate Muslim women: Arif Mohd Khan 23 Aug 2017 | PNS
- TRP wars result in faux pas by news channels 23 Aug 2017 | PNS
- Centre to send advisory to States to ensure compliance 23 Aug 2017 | PNS
- Centre rules out need for new law 23 Aug 2017 | PNS/Agencies
Sunday EditionView All
20 Aug 2017 | AFP | Washington
The entire President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities, that includes Indian-Americans Jhumpa Lahiri and Kal Penn, has resigned over President Donald Trump’s controversial remarks after the racist violence in Virginia. In a letter signed by 16 of 17 committee members, including author Lahiri and actor Penn, Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Paris Agreement on climate change has also been cited as a reason for their resignation...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Aug 2017 | PNS | Jamshedpur
In a shocking case of negligence, a 17-year-old minor girl delivered a child on the road, nearly 30 meters from the Chandil community health center, in neighbouring Seraikel-Kharsawan, on Tuesday morning. According to reports, despite request there was delay in sending of ambulance for the girl who was crying in pain and delivered a girl child on the road and was later carried on an auto-rickshaw to the hospital...