J&K gunfight: Cop martyred, terrorist shot
A soldier and a terrorist were killed in a fierce gunfight in south Kashmir’s mountainous Qazigund area on Tuesday even as a hideout was busted in Laam forests of Tral sub-district where troops had launched a massive combing operation during wee hours.
Sources said that a joint team of Army and counterinsurgency police launched an operation in Nowbug, Kund area of south Kashmir’s Qazigund area that resulted into death of a soldier and a militant. A policeman was injured in the gunfight.
Police said hiding militants fired upon the search party when it approached a house suspected to be the militant hideout. The militants initially changed their positions and attempted to escape the area but all the exit and entry routes had been sealed by the security forces. This triggered a heavy exchange of fire that resulted into death of a Lashkar-e-Tayyeba (LeT) outfit. During the exchange of fire, a policeman and a soldier sustained injuries. The soldier later succumbed to his injuries. Sources added that some of the militants managed to escape from the encounter.
A police official identified the slain militant as Muzamil Manzoor, a resident of Bardoo Yaripora Kulgam.
The encounter took place a day after security forces shot dead two Hizbul Mujahideen militants during an encounter in Handwara pocket of north Kashmir.
In another incident, security forces launched a combing operation in Laam forests in Tral sub-division of south Kashmir’s Pulwama district. During the operation, a hideout was busted and blankets used by militants were recovered. The militants are suspected to have abandoned the hideout due to freezing temperatures in the area.
Meanwhile, the authorities suspended rail services in several areas due to the encounters fearing outpouring of people. The internet services were snapped in several areas.
- Haveli Dharampura, Wellington Fountain win UNESCO recognition 18 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Denied sex, man kills wife in Haryana 18 Nov 2017 | PTI
- CBI files case against corporate lobbyist Deepak Talwar, NGO Advantage India 18 Nov 2017 | PNS
- 15 patients die after Patna hospital's junior doctors strike work 18 Nov 2017 | IANS
- No economy recovery in sight: Manmohan Singh 18 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Ahmednagar POCSO court verdict today 18 Nov 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Hyderabad gearing up to host Modi, Ivanka Trump 18 Nov 2017 | Omer Farooq
- T Assembly adjourned, Opp protests 18 Nov 2017 | Omer Farooq
- J&K: Jawan hurt in truce violation, schools stay shut 18 Nov 2017 | Mohit Kandhari
- 49 sitting MLAs among 70 in BJP list 18 Nov 2017 | Nayan Dave
Sunday EditionView All
12 Nov 2017 | PTI | Jammu
Opposition National Conference on Saturday expressed hopes that the visit of a five-member team, led by a senior Home Ministry official, to the border areas of Jammu and Kashmir would help in mitigating the difficulties of the people who bear the brunt of unprovoked shelling by Pakistan. The team, led by Special Secretary (Internal Security) in the Home Ministry Rina Mitra, comprises Joint Secretary (Internal Security) Gyanesh Kumar and Director (Ministry...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Nov 2017 | PNS | Bokaro
The Electricity Department Chas on Friday lodged an FIR against seven people for stealing electric power at local police station and fined the defaulters Rs 1.09 lakhs...