J&K: Jawan hurt in truce violation, schools stay shut
In a fresh incident of ceasefire violation reported along the Line of Control in frontier Poonch district, one Army jawan received injuries while schools remained closed in the forward areas to ensure safety of children on Friday.
Due to intense firing in the forward areas several villages remained on their tenterhooks as Pakistan Army targeted civilian areas. In response the Indian Army retaliated strongly to silence the Pak guns.
For last three days intermittent firing at regular intervals is going on across different pockets along the Line of Control. The presence of small groups of infiltrators attempting to cross the Line of Control cannot be ruled out taking advantage of heavy cover fire provided by the Pak Army.
Following fresh exchange of firing in the forward areas the local residents in the area are a worried lot.
"We cannot afford to stay away from our homes for a long time due to chilly weather conditions in the forward areas" local residents claimed. The local administration is trying its level best to pool its resources to start construction work of bunkers to ensure safety of local residents.
Security agencies too are apprehensive as they are expecting infiltrators to shift to plain areas and pockets of line of control south of Pir Panjal which mostly remains unaffected by the heavy —moderate snowfall. During coming peak winter months infiltrators try and use traditional routes of infiltration in the region as their handlers are well versed with infiltration routes.
Defence PRO in Jammu said. “Pakistan Army initiated unprovoked and indiscriminate firing of small arms, automatics and mortars from 0745 hours in Poonch sector along the Line of Control (LoC)”. "Indian Army retaliated strongly and effectively", he said.
- India successfully test-fires BrahMos supersonic cruise 22 May 2018 | PTI
- KVIC sets world record on World Honey-Bee Day 22 May 2018 | PNS
- China calls mining report near Arunachal border ‚Äėgroundless‚Äô 22 May 2018 | IANS
- Modi tells students he saw a Putin different from the President 22 May 2018 | PTI
- PM invokes Vajpayee to assert strong bond between India, Russia 22 May 2018 | PTI
- Indo-Russian ties enjoy strategic partnership: Modi to Putin 22 May 2018 | PTI
- NHRC issues notice to UP Govt over 13 hooch deaths 22 May 2018 | PNS
- UP police pledges to fight subversive forces on Rajiv Gandhi death anniversary 22 May 2018 | PNS
- Rly to close 150 yrs old rail section in Patna for road 22 May 2018 | Faizan Ahmad
- Stamped ballot papers lay strewn in Bengal boondocks 22 May 2018 | Saugar Sengupta
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A women’s youth camp under Go Rurban camp with the objective to connect rural and urban youth together will be held at village Sijora district Dindori. The basic idea of the camp is to build a stronger bridge in order to fill the gap between rural and urban society...