Keralites in Gujarat support visit
Even as the Congress and the Left parties in Kerala are fuming over the Sivagiri Mutt’s invite to Chief Minister Narendra Modi, the Malayalees residing in Gujarat have openly come out in support of the top BJP leader.
There are an estimated 25 lakh Malayalees living in all parts of Gujarat, many of them holding high positions in Government, industries and other business houses.
Describing the Congress and Left parties’ opposition to Modi as “unfortunate”, KRS Dharen, president of Sree Narayana Cultural Mission, said that branding Modi on 2002 riots issue and keeping him away is not fair.
Political leaders in Kerala must see for themselves the development in Gujarat under Modi’s tenure, Dharen said.
“A controversy over a Chief Minister visiting another State is not healthy democracy,” he added. Father Babu of the Malayalee Catholic Federation (Gujarat) said that the controversy should have been avoided. “The minorities are having a secured life in Gujarat,” Father Babu added.
“Malayalees in Gujarat are happy and living in peace, perhaps better than in Kerala,” remarked JS Menon of the Akhil Gujarat Nairs’ Association.
Modi is a good administrator and Malayalees here are supportive of him due to his development agenda, Menon said. When the Left activists had shown black flags to Modi during his Kerala visit few years back, the Malayalees here had taken out a rally in favour of the Gujarat Chief Minister.
- Green body imposes Rs 1L fine each on 4 rly stations for not complying with waste management rules 24 Oct 2017 | SR
- Man attacked for bursting firecrackers in Diwali; 2 arrested 24 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Relationship with India of strategic importance: US 24 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Will resolve all irritants in ties with B‚Äôdesh: Sushma 24 Oct 2017 | PTI
- HFI seeks better quality of hemophilia drugs 24 Oct 2017 | PNS
- Vegetable prices shoot up 24 Oct 2017 | Rajesh Kumar
- Kharif crops in good condition despite rain: Agri Secy 24 Oct 2017 | PNS
- SC asks Guj to apprise it of action taken against cops 24 Oct 2017 | PNS
- Milk adulteration: Govt all set to launch survey 24 Oct 2017 | Archana Jyoti
- AIADMK symbol fight: Dinakaran faction gets adjournment till Oct 30 24 Oct 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Oct 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
A girl of around 18 years who was allegedly sexually assaulted at a sugarcane field by one of her relatives committed suicide by hanging herself from ceiling fan at her residence on Monday. No suicide note was received from the house, said police...