Kiss Cong, kick Left & Right, Didi tells cadre
Fresh from Delhi where she held talks with Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Presidential elections, Bengal Chief Minister and Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee on Friday instructed her party leaders to hold fire against the Congress and target the Left and the BJP instead.
Issuing directives to a packed house of TMC leaders, who were present and listening without questioning the reason behind the abrupt U-turn or how the leaders would explain the sudden shift to the grassroots, Mamata bluntly told the party core committee meeting not to issue any adverse statement against the Congress.
“From now on no one will make adverse comments against the Congress.” she said. “If needed I will handle a situation but it is a clear cut instruction to all the leaders to refrain from using any hostile comment against the Congress or its leaders."
The CM, however, afforded the TMC leaders potent alternatives to exhaust their ammunition even as she told them to raise their decibel level against the CPI(M) and the BJP.
“Concentrate on the CPI(M) and the BJP and expose their dirty politics of joining hands on the sly while attacking each other in public,” she said adding how the BJP-led Government was harassing a pro-people party like hers.
Referring to the bail given by Orissa High Court to Sudip Banerjee, the Chief Minister said, “Sudip da’s bail is a cause of relief. We are happy. He has suffered so much for no fault of his. He is unwell and we will ask him to take rest when he comes to Kolkata.”
Banerjee’s sudden change of track vis a vis the Congress against which the Trinamool had gone all guns blazing in the recent past was the result of a ‘fruitful meeting’ between her and Sonia Gandhi in Delhi where the duo discussed ‘among other issues’ a consensus Opposition candidate for Presidential elections, insiders said.
Moments later she was seen exchanging pleasantries with senior Pradesh Congress leader Abdul Mannan one of the whistle blowers and a petitioner for CBI investigation in the Sharada chit fund case —that tended to pull the veneer off her senior colleagues’ virtuous countenance — inside the Assembly House where she enquired after his health after quite a few years.
- Green body imposes Rs 1L fine each on 4 rly stations for not complying with waste management rules 24 Oct 2017 | SR
- Man attacked for bursting firecrackers in Diwali; 2 arrested 24 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Relationship with India of strategic importance: US 24 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Will resolve all irritants in ties with B‚Äôdesh: Sushma 24 Oct 2017 | PTI
- HFI seeks better quality of hemophilia drugs 24 Oct 2017 | PNS
- Vegetable prices shoot up 24 Oct 2017 | Rajesh Kumar
- Kharif crops in good condition despite rain: Agri Secy 24 Oct 2017 | PNS
- SC asks Guj to apprise it of action taken against cops 24 Oct 2017 | PNS
- Milk adulteration: Govt all set to launch survey 24 Oct 2017 | Archana Jyoti
- AIADMK symbol fight: Dinakaran faction gets adjournment till Oct 30 24 Oct 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Oct 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
A girl of around 18 years who was allegedly sexually assaulted at a sugarcane field by one of her relatives committed suicide by hanging herself from ceiling fan at her residence on Monday. No suicide note was received from the house, said police...