Mallya case: Pre-trial review of extradition on Nov 20 in UK
The pre-trial review of the extradition case filed by the Indian Government against Vijay Mallya, chairman of the United Breweries Limited, is scheduled for November 20 in London. Mallya is wanted in India in connection with a money laundering case being investigated by the Enforcement Directorate (ED). The Indian authorities have been asked to send reply to the defence evidence, in the case management review hearing, before November 3.
The extradition request for Mallya was handed over to the United Kingdom High Commission in New Delhi on February 9, 2017. Mallya was arrested and produced before the Westminster Magistrates' Court in London on April 18 for extradition hearing and was later granted conditional bail.
According to the Ministry of External Affairs, in the first case management review held on July 6 the tentative date for extradition hearing was announced to be December 4, 2017. Mallya's bail was also extended until then on the same terms and conditions.
"In the hearing on October 4, 2017, UK Crown Prosecution Service on behalf of India filed supplemental affidavit in connection with money laundering charges. Mr. Mallya was re-arrested and granted bail thereafter till 4 December 2017 when extradition hearing is scheduled to commence. The pre-trial review on the case is scheduled for November 20, 2017," MEA spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said on Thursday.
In the second case management review hearing held on September 14, the defence evidence was served to UK Crown Prosecution Service for response from the Indian side. The Indian authorities need to send reply to the defence evidence before November 3, Raveesh said.
India is pursuing the extradition case against Mallya with UK government after the investigations by the Central Bureau of Investigation and the ED.
revealed that Mallya had diverted most of the Rs 6,000 crores he had borrowed from State Bank of India led consortiums of lenders to the shell companies. Mallya has denied these allegations.
- SP candidates clueless as Akhilesh missing in UP civic polls campaign 19 Nov 2017 | PNS
- ATS detains eight for trespassing on prohibited Ram Janam Bhoomi area 19 Nov 2017 | PNS
- Global rating agencies proved Opp‚Äôs slowdown claim false, says Rajnath 19 Nov 2017 | PNS
- Third high-profile US figure to be hosted by Hyderabad 19 Nov 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Ivanka to lead US to India biz summit 19 Nov 2017 | S Rajagopalan
- Haveli Dharampura, Wellington Fountain win UNESCO recognition 18 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Denied sex, man kills wife in Haryana 18 Nov 2017 | PTI
- CBI files case against corporate lobbyist Deepak Talwar, NGO Advantage India 18 Nov 2017 | PNS
- 15 patients die after Patna hospital's junior doctors strike work 18 Nov 2017 | IANS
- No economy recovery in sight: Manmohan Singh 18 Nov 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | Indore
Union Minister Thawar Chand Gehlot here on Saturday said the Central Board of Film Certificate (CBFC) should cut ‘objectionable’ scenes in the Bollywood film Padmavati whose release is being opposed by certain Rajput groups. The BJP leader said anger is palpable in the country against the period drama directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali...