- Taliban kill 18 soldiers in attack on Afghan army base: Officials
- Will shift operations partially to IGI T2 in coming weeks: IndiGo
- False allegations levelled against me but truth will prevail: Choksi to employees
- FM slams regulators' failure to detect PNB fraud
- Delhi diamond exporter booked for Rs 389-cr OBC loan fraud
Mamata woos rural voters with schemes
With her eyes on rural polls and assuming the BJP as her main challenger, Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday launched a plethora of populist schemes to woo voters and ruthless broadside against the Narendra Modi Government at the Centre for destabilising Indian economy and dividing India along communal lines.
Speaking at a Government function at Nadia, Banerjee targeted a cross-section of the rural population not least the “refugees” whom she advised to ready their papers and lap up a windfall of 13,000 pattas (land deeds) specially meant for them.
The “patta message” for the trans-border immigrants, Banerjee increased the monthly Government largesse for the retired farmers from Rs 750 to Rs 1,000 and promised Rs 25,000 wedding gift each for the girls beyond 18 years of age. This, apart from 30 lakh cycles to be distributed among Class IX students this year and pension schemes for auto rickshaw drivers, casual workers and even domestic helps.
Even as the Chief Minister showered dollops of Government grants she lambasted the BJP Government for “robbing the poor of their rights” and “dividing the nation along communal lines.”
- EC censures Vasundhara for speech intimidating voters 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Elections to 59 RS seats on March 23 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Sunanda case: Response sought from Delhi Police on Swamy‚Äôs plea 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Court refuses to stay summon against Karti 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Call to appoint Lokpal on March 1: Centre to SC 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- CBI registers corruption case against Aurangabad DM Tanuj, officials 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Army floats global tender for 5.5L rifles 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Investors Summit waste of money, says Mayawati 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Don‚Äôt consider Class XI marks for college entry: PIL in Madras HC 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Shotgun fires fresh salvo at PM Modi 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Feb 2018 | PNS
Special cleanliness drive today Bhopal: The Sant Nirankari Charitable Foundation is organising a special cleanliness drive on Saturday at Government Sultania Hospital on Saturday. The Nirankari volunteers will assemble at 7...