Min’s right to free speech under apex court lens
For the first time, the Supreme Court will set out to decide whether a Minister of a State or Central Government can be allowed immunity under right to free speech to make any comment on any issue or can such comment fasten responsibility on the respective Government he represents under the principle of collective responsibility.
The Court framed this question for consideration by a Constitution Bench and sought the views of top legal brains Fali S Nariman and Harish Salve to assist as amicus curiae in settling this law. The next hearing of the case is fixed for May 2.
The issue emerged following a comment made by former Uttar Pradesh Minister Azam Khan who commented upon the Bulandshahr rape case as a conspiracy hatched by Opposition to defame his Government. The victims in the case through their nearest kin approached apex court to seek transfer of the case outside the State.
While Khan apologised to the apex court and got away, the Bench headed by Justice Dipak Misra wished to know whether a person holding a public office can make a comment violating or infringing the fundamental right of another citizen.
Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi who appeared for UP Government maintained that a Minister is free to give his comment. But Salve objected claiming that free speech has to be exercised by a citizen without harming right to liberty, dignity, privacy, gender equality of another citizen. Under collective responsibility, a Minister must be seen to espouse the Government’s view and should be restrained from making personal comments.
- All is not well with TDP-BJP alliance in AP! 24 May 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Faction fighting in TDP rears its ugly head again 24 May 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Shatrughan-Sushil Twitter war effort to gain lost status? 24 May 2017 | Faizan Ahmad
- Partnership with TMC limited to Prez polls: Bengal Congress 24 May 2017 | Saugar Sengupta
- Shiv Sena protests over Karnataka Min’s threat to Marathi-speaking MLAs 24 May 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- 2 years of AIADMK Govt: Uncertainty looms large 24 May 2017 | Kumar Chellappan
- Modi for cooperation between African nations, India 24 May 2017 | Nayan Dave
- Local leaders’ laxity in implementing road map upsets BJP chief 24 May 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Shah begins work to win Telangana to conquer South 24 May 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Cong lauds Army for action across LoC 24 May 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
21 May 2017 | PTI | Jamshedpur
Protest against lynching of four persons intensified today and the police had to fire in the air to disperse a mob, while prohibitory orders under Section 144 were imposed in four areas here for tonight. Police fired in the air to disperse a mob that blocked roads in Mango area, demanding arrest of culprits involved in the lynching of four persons of a community at Rajnagar in Seraikela-Kharswan district on Thursday...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 May 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
Acting on information received on stacking of foreign exchange in violation of rules, possession of assets disproportionate to sources of income and unaccounted- for money and others, the vigilance sleuths of Enforcement Directorate reportedly swooped down on a well-known chain of shops- Kumar Store- located at Nashvila Road, GMS Road and Rajpur Road in Dehradun on Tuesday. The raids started from 1 pm and continued till evening...