- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
Monument of Love cries out for attention, maintenance
The Government’s apathy is gradually turning Taj Mahal, India’s showpiece to the world and country’s highest revenue generating monument, into a picture of neglect.
An audit report of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) talks about cracks in the walls, seepage, poor maintenance and unauthorised construction around the premises that was brought under the wings of the Archeological Survey of India (ASI) in 1920. Like many other monuments in the country, which are becoming victim of encroachment and unauthorised construction, the situation at Taj Mahal is no different.
The CAG team noticed encroachment within the premises of the monuments near Khan-i-Alam’s Bagh. “Neither action was taken by the ASI to remove the encroachment nor was it mentioned in the list of 249 encroachments provided by the ASI for all the centrally protected monuments. “We also noticed that only one out of 24 unauthorised constructions around the Taj Mahal was demolished. We further noticed that an old temple next to the outside boundary on the eastern gate was constructed without authorisation,” the report said.
The ASI, under the Union Culture Ministry, remained a mute spectator to this violation as neither it took any action nor lodged a complaint with the concerned authorities on these unauthorised constructions, it added. Also, the Circle office failed to properly preserve the outer boundary of the Taj complex. “The left side boundary wall at the eastern gate was in poor condition. No conservation work was carried out by the circle office on this wall. Large nails were dug into the 400 year old wall and animals were routinely tethered to them,” said the report.
Cracks in the outer walls, broken stones fixed in the wall, missing designs, use of cement in the wall, seepage, fixing of plastic pipes, and broken jails were visible, highlighting poor conservation. What’s worst, lack of coordination mainly among the chemical treatment/cleaning with circle office works was also noticed. There was a missing design from the main Iron Gate while white floral designs had turned black and cracks were also noticed in the design.
MORE Nation NEWS
- Raj-Uddhav luncheon meeting sparks buzz 30 Jul 2016 | TN Raghunatha
- Kashmir on edge on crucial Friday 30 Jul 2016 | Khursheed Wani
- RaGa tears into political rivals 30 Jul 2016 | PNS
- Dalits demand identity cards for members of skinning communities 30 Jul 2016 | PNS
- Bimal Gurung plans fresh Statehood stir in Darjeeling 30 Jul 2016 | Saugar Sengupta
- Maya abuser Daya arrested from Buxar 30 Jul 2016 | PNS
- Nitish says new prohibition law not draconian 30 Jul 2016 | Faizan Ahmad
- Nine workers killed as slab of building under construction collapses in Pune 30 Jul 2016 | TN Raghunatha
- HAL flies first FOC upgraded Mirage-2000 30 Jul 2016 | Kestur Vasuki
- Surrender, SC tells Rajpal 30 Jul 2016 | PNS
I challenge Bikram S Majithia (Revenue Minister of Punjab) to arrest me in six months as they are in power. Else, I will arrest him after six months.
When you do a film, a role, you create an image and industry wants to use that image and give you similar parts.
I will be a President for the Democrats, the Republicans, and Independents. For the struggling, the striving and the successful... For all Americans.