Nagaland CM embarrassed, stopped at entrance of Assembly hall
Nagaland Chief Minister Shurhozelie Liezietsu was left embarassed on Monday after being stopped at the entrance to the Assembly hall, where polling for the Presidential election was going on, by the security staff.
The Chief Minister, though not eligible to vote since he is not an elected member of the Assembly, intended to enter the hall to oversee the security arangement and logistics, but security officers blocked his entry, creating some misunderstanding between his officers and the Assembly staff, Assembly sources said.
Interacting with the media, Liezietsu said, "As the head of government, I went round to see if proper security and logistics were arranged properly."
He lamented that as he was crossing the polling hall, a staff of the Assembly pulled him from behind.
The Chief Minister said that he had officially intimated to the Assembly Secretariat yesterday about his visit.
The CM also regretted that the Assembly Secretariat had appointed a dissident MLA as election agent without consulting the government.
"Assembly is supposed to be above Party politics," he said.
Meanwhile, all 59 elected representatives - 47 belonging to NPF, four to BJP and eight Independents - exercised their franchise in the presidential election.
Irrespective of the leadership crisis in the Nagaland People's Front (NPF), legislators supporting Liezietsu reached the venue in a group and cast their votes. So did the 43 dissident MLAs supporting former chief minister T R Zeliang.
- Chargesheet filed against Dawood‚Äôs brother 22 Nov 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Hyd metro gets safety clearance 22 Nov 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Second scribe killed in Tripura in two months 22 Nov 2017 | anup sharma
- Kerala HC orders S Durga screening at IFFI 22 Nov 2017 | PTI/PNS
- Close shave for 16 as ship sinks off Maha coast 22 Nov 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- PAAS wins as Cong changes 5 in 2nd list 22 Nov 2017 | PNS
- Hardik hits back at BJP, questions growth 22 Nov 2017 | PNS
- It‚Äôll be dynasty vs development: Shah 22 Nov 2017 | PNS
- Study: No insurance policy for fishery sector in India 22 Nov 2017 | Rajesh Kumar
- Modi is Brahma as only he knows when Winter Session will start: Cong 22 Nov 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Nov 2017 | PNS | Gwalior
The Madhya Pradesh police and district administration on Tuesday seized the bust of Nathuram Godse, which was installed inside the office of the Akhil Bharatiya Hindu Mahasabha's office in Gwalior. The district Collector had on Tuesday morning ordered for removal of the bust...