Nagaland CM embarrassed, stopped at entrance of Assembly hall
Nagaland Chief Minister Shurhozelie Liezietsu was left embarassed on Monday after being stopped at the entrance to the Assembly hall, where polling for the Presidential election was going on, by the security staff.
The Chief Minister, though not eligible to vote since he is not an elected member of the Assembly, intended to enter the hall to oversee the security arangement and logistics, but security officers blocked his entry, creating some misunderstanding between his officers and the Assembly staff, Assembly sources said.
Interacting with the media, Liezietsu said, "As the head of government, I went round to see if proper security and logistics were arranged properly."
He lamented that as he was crossing the polling hall, a staff of the Assembly pulled him from behind.
The Chief Minister said that he had officially intimated to the Assembly Secretariat yesterday about his visit.
The CM also regretted that the Assembly Secretariat had appointed a dissident MLA as election agent without consulting the government.
"Assembly is supposed to be above Party politics," he said.
Meanwhile, all 59 elected representatives - 47 belonging to NPF, four to BJP and eight Independents - exercised their franchise in the presidential election.
Irrespective of the leadership crisis in the Nagaland People's Front (NPF), legislators supporting Liezietsu reached the venue in a group and cast their votes. So did the 43 dissident MLAs supporting former chief minister T R Zeliang.
- Inbrief 25 Jul 2017 | PNS
- Counselling for mgmt MBBS seats put off in Puducherry 25 Jul 2017 | PTI
- As tomato prices touch Rs 100, traders in Indore ask for security guards 25 Jul 2017 | PTI
- HC asks Mumbai cops to ensure no minor hurts self in Muharram 25 Jul 2017 | PTI
- 30K seized liquor bottles destroyed in Patna 25 Jul 2017 | PTI
- SC refuses to monitor investigation into killings of Kashmiri Pandits 25 Jul 2017 | PNS
- Aborting 26-week foetus of 10-yr-old rape survivor risky? PGI Chandigarh told to examine 25 Jul 2017 | PNS
- Outgoing Prez: The journey continues 25 Jul 2017 | PTI
- ‚ÄėBabus being dictators over car-free CP‚Äô 25 Jul 2017 | Sapna Singh
- Exec-Council of first national aviation varsity constituted 25 Jul 2017 | Deepak Kumar Jha
Sunday EditionView All
23 Jul 2017 | IANS | New Delhi
Only 349 of 4,862 India's large dams have emergency disaster action plans in place, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India's performance report on flood control and management schemes of the Water Resources Ministry has revealed. "Out of 4,862 large dams, emergency action plans or disaster management plans of only 349 dams, which is seven per cent, were prepared (March 2016)...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Jul 2017 | PNS | HAZARIBAGH
The Hazaribagh district unit of Sanskar Bharti organized Rangoli-Mehndi competition in the premises of Hindu +2 High School. Despite continuous rain 140 participated in the Rangoli competition and 78 in Mehndi competition...