Narada: 3rd TMC heavyweight grilled, 4th summoned by ED
Bengal’s ruling Trinamool Congress’ big political embarrassment continued in the Narada payoff case for the third consecutive day on Friday with the Enforcement Directorate interrogating party’s senior most leader and powerful Minister Subroto Mukherjee for more than three hours.
Unlike Kolkata Mayor Sovan Chatterjee who needed more than eight hours’ intense grilling on Thursday — to call to mind the occurrence of accepting Rs 5 lakh from Mathew Samuels for party work — Mukherjee presented a sharper memory of having “received Rs 3.5 lakh and not Rs 5 lakh.”
Mukherjee a veteran leader boldly represented his case before the media after the interrogation saying the Narada News chief owed Rs 1.5 lakh to him as “I had only received Rs 3.5 lakh and not Rs 5 lakh as claimed by a section of the media, but all for party purposes,” adding “telling him to send the remaining Rs 1.5 lakh,” before hurriedly adding he would respond to ED summons promptly whenever required.
He had been asked to furnish details of his income and other related documents, sources said.
Meanwhile, another powerful Minister Suvendu Adhikary, known for his spearheading Mamata’s Nandigram struggle had also been asked to appear before the ED on August 16. The Minister had on earlier occasions told the ED about his inability to appear before it on account of his busy schedules offering to meet the officials in his own office.
The ED however asked him to appear in its own office on Wednesday. Adhikary along with his father Sisir Adhikary a former Union Minister are the only two Trinamool leaders in Bengal who command a strong organizational force and whose electoral prospects are free from Mamata Banerjee’s influence.
- Inshort 19 Aug 2017 | Pioneer
- Central Govt official praises Telangana's land survey 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Postage stamp featuring Mithila headgear issued 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Govt slow in investigating irregularities in Adani‚Äôs inflated invoicing: Cong 19 Aug 2017 | PNS
- Delhi tourist raped at Hyd guest house on Aug 15 night 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- CPI(M) complains to Min over MTNL internet blackout for last 7 days 19 Aug 2017 | PNS
- Tripura Govt not to go to court on Sarkar speech 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- No info from Pak on ad-hoc judge for Jadhav case: MEA 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Reports of BrahMos sale to Vietnam incorrect: Govt 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- 11 mn people hit due to floods in India: Report 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
20 Aug 2017 | AFP | Washington
The entire President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities, that includes Indian-Americans Jhumpa Lahiri and Kal Penn, has resigned over President Donald Trump’s controversial remarks after the racist violence in Virginia. In a letter signed by 16 of 17 committee members, including author Lahiri and actor Penn, Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Paris Agreement on climate change has also been cited as a reason for their resignation...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Solar power plants having total capacity of 2,467 kWp have been installed at various places including industries in Chhattisgarh in 2016-17, the Central Government has informed. Notably, Chhattisgarh Government has decided to identify more potentially rich areas for installation of renewable energy projects and carry out advance planning for evacuation and transmission of power in an effective and coordinated manner...