×
E-PAPER ▾

E-paper

Nation

NIA issues second summons to Naik

| | New Delhi

National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Monday issued a second notice to controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik asking him to appear before it on March 30 in a case filed against him under an anti-terror law. The agency had early this month issued the first summons to him asking him to appear on March 14.

Meanwhile, Enforcement Directorate (ED) attached assets worth Rs18.37 crore of Naiks’ NGO Islamic Research Foundation (IRF) in money laundering case.

Officials said Naik has been summoned at the National Investigation Agency’s headquarters here. The notice has been sent to the Mumbai residence of 51-year-old Naik, who is believed to be staying in Saudi Arabia to evade arrest after his activities came under scanner following accusations that he had inspired some of the terrorists who attacked a cafe in Dhaka last year. An FIR against Naik and his associates was registered by the NIA in November last year.

The physician-turned-preacher, who runs a TV channel called Peace TV,  has been booked for promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion and doing acts prejudicial to maintenance of harmony. Sections of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA) have also been slapped on him.

In the FIR, the NIA alleged that Naik incited Muslim youths to commit unlawful and terrorist acts, the official said.

The Centre had declared Islamic Research Foundation (IRF), an NGO based at Dongri in south Mumbai, an unlawful organisation under the UAPA. The Delhi High Court had recently upheld the decision to immediately ban IRF saying the organisation and its president and members were indulging in “unlawful activity.” Besides the IRF, Naik is also founding trustee of the IRF Educational Trust and the Islamic Dimensions Trust.

The speeches of Naik are banned in the UK, Canada and Malaysia. Naik has rejected all allegations of involvement in terror-related activities and opposed ban on the IRF.

 
 
 

TOP STORIES

Sunday Edition

View All

DU admissions to continue till June 28; 2nd cut-off list on July 1

25 Jun 2017 | Shipra Parashar/ Srishti Garg | New Delhi

With Delhi University declaring its first cut-off list on Friday, SGTB Khalsa college came out with the highest 99.66 per cent for BSc (Hons) Electronics...

Read More

STATE EDITIONS

View All

Max Hospital initiates regimented protocol of ‘Fast Track Bypass surgeries’

25 Jun 2017 | PNS | Dehradun

A regimented protocol of ‘Fast Track Bypass surgeries’ in which a patient can get discharged in three days has been initiated by the Max hospital here. Addressing media persons Senior Consultant Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery (CTVS), Dr Manish Meswani said that Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery (CABG) involves counselling of patient and fast tracking the conventional processes...

Read More

Page generated in 0.8247 seconds.