Niti Vice Chairman says time is not ripe for taxing agricultural income
Niti Aayog Vice Chairman Rajiv Kumar has said that imposition of tax on agriculture income has always been considered by ‘successive Governments’, even as he cautioned that any such move should be taken once the sector is productive and attached to modern scientific methods.
He further said the Government think tank will come out with a development agenda for ‘New India 2022’ by July, which will spell out strategy for expediting economic growth.
“Taxing agriculture income has always been under consideration of successive governments. We have to first ensure that our agriculture become productive and is put on a modern scientific basis,” he said in a tweet.
Kumar was replying to a question on twitter whether taxing agriculture income beyond a threshold is a good idea as presented in the Kelkar report.
Taxing the agriculture income has always been a politically sensitive issue and governments have refrained from doing so.
Last year , a controversy had erupted after Niti Aayog member Bibek Debroy at a press conference had said the agricultural income above certain threshold should be taxed.
However, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had later clarified that there was no such proposal and the Centre has no power to impose tax on agricultural income.
The Niti Aayog too had quickly distanced itself from the comment, saying it was the personal view of Debroy.
- India can be US partner in economic growth: Sarna 24 May 2018 | PTI
- Timings of Govt schools in Gurugram changed due to intense heat 24 May 2018 | PTI
- Is Centre planning another disruption by proposing changes in UPSC rules: PC 24 May 2018 | PTI
- No agreement with Pak on resolving Indus Waters Treaty dispute: World Bank 24 May 2018 | PTI
- SIT to probe extortion threats to 12 UP MLAs 24 May 2018 | PTI
- Yogi & Uddhav continue to exchange verbal fire 24 May 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Nurse body with injury marks found in J&K hospital 24 May 2018 | PNS
- Security guard of BJP activist decamps with his service rifle 24 May 2018 | Khursheed Wani
- Tried to check in with girl, detained at hotel 24 May 2018 | Khursheed Wani
- Gujarat advisory for cops post Jadeja‚Äôs wife attack 24 May 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...