- State Editions ˅
- Cover Story
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
No interference of RSS in UP CM selection: Naidu
Union Minister M Venkaiah Naidu on Monday said the elected BJP Legislatures of Uttar Pradesh chose the Chief Minister and there was no interference from the RSS in the selection process.
Naidu who had flown to Lucknow as BJP’s observer maintained that after discussions with the elected MLAs of the BJP he conveyed their views to Party President Amit Shah.
In the backdrop of the Opposition criticism over party’s choice of Chief Minister, the senior BJP leader asked the Opposition to be “graceful in defeat,” accept the mandate of the people and give a “fair opportunity” to the new Chief Minister. Naidu said in the BJP, the legislators under the Parliamentary Party Board decide the leader and there was no question of interference from the RSS. The Minister said in the meeting in the State Capital, legislators proposed the name of Yogi Adityanath with MLA Suresh Khanna seconding it. There was a unanimity on the choice, he added.
Bahujan Samaj Party had alleged that an RSS man was made Chief Minister as BJP seeks to contest 2019 poll by “polarising the voters” and would sidestep the issue of development.
Naidu pointed out that the incumbent Chief Minister has already said that he would take along with him all sections of society and work for development of the State. Naidu recalled PM Narendra Modi’s statement that the country would develop if UP develops. He attributed criticism on the choice of the Chief Minister to the Opposition not being able to digest the huge victory of BJP and its allies winning 325 MLAs in the assembly.
- PM to UP MPs: Stop taking favours from CM 24 Mar 2017 | PNS
- Sushma: India in constant touch with US on illegal migrants, H1B visa issues 24 Mar 2017 | PNS
- Law Minister: EVMs cannot be tampered 24 Mar 2017 | PNS
- Jaitley: We give sufficient funds, it is up to States how to utilise them 24 Mar 2017 | PNS
- Vociferous demand in RS to rename Chandigarh airport after Bhagat Singh 24 Mar 2017 | PNS
- ‘Media should report constructive debates’ 24 Mar 2017 | PNS
- NCSEBC to become constitutional body, will replace NCBC 24 Mar 2017 | PNS
- RK Nagar: It’s Amma vs Puratchi Thalaivi Amma 24 Mar 2017 | Kumar Chellappan
- Will not allow religious polarisation in Bengal: Mamata 24 Mar 2017 | Saugar Sengupta
- Sonowal for permanent office of Brahmaputra Board in Majuli 24 Mar 2017 | Anup Sharma
Sunday EditionView All
19 Mar 2017 | Rajesh Singh
Is the marginalisation of the two caste-based parties in Uttar Pradesh a harbinger of change — from identity politics to the politics of development? If we take the 2014 and 2017 elections together, that does seem to be the suggestion, writes RAJESH SINGH Understanding an election result as monumental as that of Uttar Pradesh is akin to unravelling a deep thriller plot. The why, when, where, how and what — this...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Mar 2017 | PNS | Lucknow
Chief Minister Adityanath Yogi made a surprise inspection of the Hazratganj police station in Lucknow sending police officers in a tizzy on Thursday morning. Soon after, the Chief Minister said that there will be rule of law in UP and no one will be spared if found on the wrong side of law and asked police personnel to work with dedication...