Panama ship that killed 2 fishers to stay in Indian waters, says HC
The Kerala High Court on Monday directed the detention of a Panama-registered merchant ship, which had on June 15 collided with an Indian boat killing two fishermen, for a month.
The court directed the master of the vessel, Amber L, to keep the ship in Indian territorial waters.
Justice P B Suresh Kumar also directed the central government to ensure that the vessel remains anchored in Indian territorial waters.
The order was issued on a petition filed by the victims of the accident.
Earlier, the coastal police had arrested the captain and two crew members of the merchant ship.
The Mercantile Marine Department (MMD), Kochi, which conducted an inquiry into the collision that took place off the coast here, had ordered the detention of the ship at Kochi till further orders.
In its "initial report" submitted to the Directorate General of Shipping on June 15, MMD had said that based on digital and physical evidence, it prima facie concluded that "the Panama Flag Bulk Carrier, Amber L, is the merchant ship involved in the collision with the Indian fishing boat, Carmel Matha, at about 0223 hours on June 11 off the Kerala coast".
Two fishermen were killed and 11 others injured when the merchant ship hit their fishing boat.
Of the 14 crew members on board, 11 were rescued by other such vessels in the vicinity and two bodies were recovered.
One fisherman, Motidas from Assam, was missing
- Chargesheet filed against Dawood‚Äôs brother 22 Nov 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Hyd metro gets safety clearance 22 Nov 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Second scribe killed in Tripura in two months 22 Nov 2017 | anup sharma
- Kerala HC orders S Durga screening at IFFI 22 Nov 2017 | PTI/PNS
- Close shave for 16 as ship sinks off Maha coast 22 Nov 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- PAAS wins as Cong changes 5 in 2nd list 22 Nov 2017 | PNS
- Hardik hits back at BJP, questions growth 22 Nov 2017 | PNS
- It‚Äôll be dynasty vs development: Shah 22 Nov 2017 | PNS
- Study: No insurance policy for fishery sector in India 22 Nov 2017 | Rajesh Kumar
- Modi is Brahma as only he knows when Winter Session will start: Cong 22 Nov 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Nov 2017 | PNS | Gwalior
The Madhya Pradesh police and district administration on Tuesday seized the bust of Nathuram Godse, which was installed inside the office of the Akhil Bharatiya Hindu Mahasabha's office in Gwalior. The district Collector had on Tuesday morning ordered for removal of the bust...