- Militant, among 3 killed in J&K forest shootout
- 15 dead Maoists fished out of Maharashtra river; toll 37
- Saroj Khan backs casting couch, says film industry 'at least' gives jobs
- Pakistan hockey hero seeks heart transplant in India
- India strongly raises terrorism issue at SCO FMs' meet in China
- Trump admin toughens H1-B visa procedure
- PM launches Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan
- Kathua rape-murder: Cop, SPO arrested by SIT move J-K HC
People are losing faith in Central agencies: Azad
Senior Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad has raised questions on the functioning of the National Investigation Agency (NIA) after a court acquitted right-wing activist Swami Aseemanand and four others in the 2007 Mecca Masjid blast case investigated by the Central agency.
“It (acquittal) is happening in each case since the Government was formed four years ago, people are losing faith in the agencies,” Azad said in his recation. Congress president Rahul Gandhi, however, dodged a query on the acquittal of Aseemanand.
When asked about the verdict, former Union home minister and Congress leader Shivraj Patil said, “I find it very difficult to say whether this is wrong or correct”. He said he was not aware of the nature of charge-sheet filed by the probe agency, statements made by the witnesses and the cross-examination done by the prosecution.
The case was initially probed by the local police before being transferred to the CBI, and finally in 2011 to the NIA, the country’s premier anti-terror investigation agency.
- Leopard captured in J&K's Ramban 24 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Situation created by Modi govt worse than emergency: Yashwant 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Cong responsible if Dalits face atrocities even 70 yrs after independence: Paswan 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- SC seeks govt's reply on plea against polygamy, nikah halala 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Parents held for killing newborn, abandoning body 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- PM Modi to visit Nepal on May 11 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Oli speaks to Indian, Pak PMs to restart SAARC 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Swamy moves SC for right to pray at Ayodhya 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Disclose number of files on Subhas Chandra Bose: CIC to PMO 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- India to get 2 world-class rly stations by 2019 24 Apr 2018 | Deepak Kumar Jha
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The first meeting of Acharya Shankar Ekta Nyas was held under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Monday at Chief Minister’s residence. Discussion on setting up statue, museum, institution establishment, premises construction, architectural style and vision, rules of the trust, administrative requirements, financial management and formation of executive committee was held in the meeting...