- Militant, among 3 killed in J&K forest shootout
- 15 dead Maoists fished out of Maharashtra river; toll 37
- Saroj Khan backs casting couch, says film industry 'at least' gives jobs
- Pakistan hockey hero seeks heart transplant in India
- India strongly raises terrorism issue at SCO FMs' meet in China
- Trump admin toughens H1-B visa procedure
- PM launches Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan
- Kathua rape-murder: Cop, SPO arrested by SIT move J-K HC
Rahul asks Modi to fast-track cases of rape of minors
Congress president Rahul Gandhi on Monday asked Prime Minister Narendra Modi to fast-track cases of rape of minors and punish the guilty if he was serious about providing justice to the country’s daughters.
Amid public outrage over Kathua and Unnao rape cases, Rahul pointed out that there were as many as 19,675 cases of rapes of minor children in 2016, terming them as “shameful”. “There were 19,675 rapes of minor children reported in 2016. This is shameful. PM should fast-track these cases and punish the guilty if he is serious about providing justice for our daughters,” Rahul said on Twitter, using the hashtag ‘SpeakUp’.
His remarks come days after the Prime Minister said that the guilty in the Kathua and Unnao incidents would not be spared and the country’s daughters will get justice.
Expressing anguish over the two incidents which have triggered widespread outrage, the Prime Minister had said such crimes challenge the very concept of social justice “and as a society and a country we all are ashamed of it.”
“I want to assure the nation that no criminal will be spared. Justice will be done. Our daughters will get justice. We all will have to work together to end this internal evil,” he had said at an event last week.
In Kathua, an eight-year-old girl was gangraped and murdered while in Unnao, a 17-year-old has accused a BJP MLA of raping her.
- Leopard captured in J&K's Ramban 24 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Situation created by Modi govt worse than emergency: Yashwant 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Cong responsible if Dalits face atrocities even 70 yrs after independence: Paswan 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- SC seeks govt's reply on plea against polygamy, nikah halala 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Parents held for killing newborn, abandoning body 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- PM Modi to visit Nepal on May 11 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Oli speaks to Indian, Pak PMs to restart SAARC 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Swamy moves SC for right to pray at Ayodhya 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Disclose number of files on Subhas Chandra Bose: CIC to PMO 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- India to get 2 world-class rly stations by 2019 24 Apr 2018 | Deepak Kumar Jha
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The first meeting of Acharya Shankar Ekta Nyas was held under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Monday at Chief Minister’s residence. Discussion on setting up statue, museum, institution establishment, premises construction, architectural style and vision, rules of the trust, administrative requirements, financial management and formation of executive committee was held in the meeting...