Rain, hailstorm damage rabi crops, 1.08L ha in Maharashtra affected
Untimely rain and hailstorm have caused damage to the rabi (winter) crops in over one lakh hectare in Maharashtra, especially in Vidarbha and Marathwada regions. As per estimate received by the agriculture Ministry, the rabi crops –chana and wheat –have been hit. The MeT department has also warned farmers about bad weather and advised them to start harvesting early.
According to officials of the agriculture Ministry, they have received a report from Maharashtra. About 1.08 lakh hectare has been damaged due to unseasonal rains and hailstorm. “This is just a preliminary assessment of the damage, the full report is yet to be received from the State Government”, officials said
Besides Maharashtra, the official said, there were reports of some damage to rabi crops in Madhya Pradesh. The rabi crops will be ready for harvest from next month. In some states like Gujarat, wheat harvesting has begun.
Officials said that in madhya Maharashtra, Marathwada and Vidarbha, the farmers have been asked to complete harvesting of matured rabi crops at the earliest. The State Government has also asked farmers to collect and cover harvested produce by plastic sheet, store threshed crops in warehouse, complete harvesting of matured fruits and vegetables at the earliest and cover orchard with hail net in Madhya Maharashtra and Marathwada.
As per reports, districts which were most hit in Maharashtra included Beed, Osmanabad, Latur, Nanded, Parbhani, Hingoli, Dhule, Nandurbar, Aurangabad among others. Sehore, Vidisha, Hoshangabad, Guna, Rajgarh, Harda, Betul and Raisen districts were among the badly hit districts of Madhya Pradesh.
- Sunanda Pushkar case transferred to fast-track court 25 May 2018 | IANS
- Ireland's Indian-origin PM campaigns to lift abortion ban 25 May 2018 | PTI
- Lajpat Ngr flyover repair over, to re-open today 25 May 2018 | PTI
- UP ATS nabs ISI suspect who worked with Indian diplomat in Pakistan 25 May 2018 | PTI
- ...Min advisory: Eat only fresh, washed fruits 25 May 2018 | PTI
- Nipah kills one more in Kerala; exams put off 25 May 2018 | IANS
- BJP, Shiv Sena win two seats each 25 May 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Gujarat to hold ‚ÄėParjanya yagna‚Äô for good monsoon 25 May 2018 | PNS
- Didi mum on Teesta, slams fuel price hike 25 May 2018 | Saugar Sengupta
- Army chief visits J&K after unilateral ceasefire 25 May 2018 | Khursheed Wani
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 May 2018 | Santosh Narayan | Ranchi
When Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his Jharkhand visit on Friday sits with the Deputy Commissioners and officials of the 19 aspirational districts it would boost hope of speedy development of the areas that have been in the red zone. It is learnt that all the DCs concerned have been told to be ready with crisp presentations highlighting not only the good works done in their areas identified but also...