- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
Relief for harried Mumbai as Metro finally rolls out
Four months after the introduction of India’s first monorail train service, trains rolled out on the Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar corridor of the Mumbai Metro, thus becoming the third mode of railway transport and providing much-needed relief to lakhs of harried commuters in a city that is bursting at the seams.
A day after he threatened to boycott the inaugural function of the Mumbai Metro over the fare hike issue, Maharashtra CM Prithviraj Chavan made amends and launched the Metro services on the crucial 11.4 km railway corridor, a vital stretch that connects Versova in the western suburbs with Ghatkopar in the eastern suburbs.
The Metro network, which provides a first-ever rail link to the Mumbai airport, promises to cut down the commute time from the current 90 minutes by road transport to just 21 minutes.
After a Ganesh puja, the Chief Minister boarded the motor person’s cabin of a new Metro train at the newly constructed Versova railway station and flagged off the train at 10.15 am.
Apart from the CM, Reliance Energy Limited (REL) chairman Anil Ambani and his wife Tina Ambani were present inside the motor person’s cabin, as lady motor person Rupali Chavan steered the new train-decorated with flowers — on its inaugural journey from Versova to Ghatkopar.
Prominent among others present at the Metro launch were: Maharashtra’s Deputy CM Ajit Pawar, Mumbai’s Guardian Minister Jayant Patil, city BJP MPs Kirit Somaiya, Gopal Shetty, Poonam Mahajan and MMRDA Commissioner UPS Madan.
After the inaugural journey, the commercial operations began later in the afternoon. However, the trains were “20 to 25” minutes behind the schedule for better part of the first day of the operation. The Metro officials attributed the delay to “some technical glitch”.
MORE Nation NEWS
- Raj-Uddhav luncheon meeting sparks buzz 30 Jul 2016 | TN Raghunatha
- Kashmir on edge on crucial Friday 30 Jul 2016 | Khursheed Wani
- RaGa tears into political rivals 30 Jul 2016 | PNS
- Dalits demand identity cards for members of skinning communities 30 Jul 2016 | PNS
- Bimal Gurung plans fresh Statehood stir in Darjeeling 30 Jul 2016 | Saugar Sengupta
- Maya abuser Daya arrested from Buxar 30 Jul 2016 | PNS
- Nitish says new prohibition law not draconian 30 Jul 2016 | Faizan Ahmad
- Nine workers killed as slab of building under construction collapses in Pune 30 Jul 2016 | TN Raghunatha
- HAL flies first FOC upgraded Mirage-2000 30 Jul 2016 | Kestur Vasuki
- Surrender, SC tells Rajpal 30 Jul 2016 | PNS
I challenge Bikram S Majithia (Revenue Minister of Punjab) to arrest me in six months as they are in power. Else, I will arrest him after six months.
When you do a film, a role, you create an image and industry wants to use that image and give you similar parts.
I will be a President for the Democrats, the Republicans, and Independents. For the struggling, the striving and the successful... For all Americans.