Relief for harried Mumbai as Metro finally rolls out
Four months after the introduction of India’s first monorail train service, trains rolled out on the Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar corridor of the Mumbai Metro, thus becoming the third mode of railway transport and providing much-needed relief to lakhs of harried commuters in a city that is bursting at the seams.
A day after he threatened to boycott the inaugural function of the Mumbai Metro over the fare hike issue, Maharashtra CM Prithviraj Chavan made amends and launched the Metro services on the crucial 11.4 km railway corridor, a vital stretch that connects Versova in the western suburbs with Ghatkopar in the eastern suburbs.
The Metro network, which provides a first-ever rail link to the Mumbai airport, promises to cut down the commute time from the current 90 minutes by road transport to just 21 minutes.
After a Ganesh puja, the Chief Minister boarded the motor person’s cabin of a new Metro train at the newly constructed Versova railway station and flagged off the train at 10.15 am.
Apart from the CM, Reliance Energy Limited (REL) chairman Anil Ambani and his wife Tina Ambani were present inside the motor person’s cabin, as lady motor person Rupali Chavan steered the new train-decorated with flowers — on its inaugural journey from Versova to Ghatkopar.
Prominent among others present at the Metro launch were: Maharashtra’s Deputy CM Ajit Pawar, Mumbai’s Guardian Minister Jayant Patil, city BJP MPs Kirit Somaiya, Gopal Shetty, Poonam Mahajan and MMRDA Commissioner UPS Madan.
After the inaugural journey, the commercial operations began later in the afternoon. However, the trains were “20 to 25” minutes behind the schedule for better part of the first day of the operation. The Metro officials attributed the delay to “some technical glitch”.
- Bhagwat attends RSS camp on ST community 20 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Earring taken out from kid‚Äôs windpipe 20 Jun 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Experts compare Marxism with different socio-economic orders 20 Jun 2018 | PNS
- Ex-Cong MLA Jai Kishen to hold protest against AAP, BJP 20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- PC files plea to quash June 12 order 20 Jun 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
- India to construct war memorial at Villers Guislain in France 20 Jun 2018 | PTI
- After sex-change, Lalita reports to duty as cop Lalit 20 Jun 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Leaders facing no threat get police security in Kerala 20 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj
- 5 charred to death in UP hotel inferno 20 Jun 2018 | PNS
- Triple murder rocks Mathura 20 Jun 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Jun 2018 | PNS | Kochi
Mother of PR dept Addl Director passes away Late Laxmibai Gupta, mother of Suresh Gupta, the Additional Director, Public Relations Department passed away here on Tuesday. She was ill for last 15 days and left for heavenly abode at the age of 91 years at Bhopal on Tuesday morning...