Rijiju slams attempts to brand India as villain on Rohingya refugee issue
Union Minister Kiren Rijiju on Wednesday slammed attempts to brand India as a "villain" on the Rohingya refugee issue, saying it was a "calibrated design" to tarnish the country's image. Rijiju's comments came two days after UN human Rights Chief Zeid Ra'ad al-Hussein flayed any attempts by India to deport Rohingyas to Myanmar.
Rijiju reiterated that Rohingyas have entered illegally and the Government will deport them."This chorus of branding India as villain on Rohingya issue is a calibrated design to tarnish India's image," he said in a tweet.
It is learned that the Wednesday's high-level meeting chaired by Home Minister Rajnath Singh also reviewed the Rohingyas illegal infiltration and deportation related issues. The Government told Parliament on August 9 that according to available data, more than 14,000 Rohingyas, registered with the UNHCR, are presently staying in India.
However, some inputs indicate that around 40,000 Rohingyas are staying in India illegally and the Rohingyas are largely located in Jammu, Hyderabad, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi-NCR and Rajasthan.
- Mehbooba directs police to check harassment by cow vigilantes in Valley 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Minor girl allegedly raped in Garo Hills 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- ‚ÄėFatah Ka Fatwa' stopped: Centre tells High Court 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Ragging case: 6 students expelled from IIIT-Nuzvid 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Woman fraudulently uses Mangeshkar's name to collect donations, booked 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Hyderabad boy rescued from Andhra; kidnapper held 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- 4 U‚Äôkhand villages to get science, technology push 23 Sep 2017 | PNS
- Merged AIADMK wants EC to restore Two Leaves symbol 23 Sep 2017 | PNS
- Modi releases postage stamp on Lord Ram 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Rs 2.6L interest subsidy for MIG on home loans 23 Sep 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
24 Sep 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
In a clear indication of an irreconcilable rift between it and its senior alliance partner BJP, the Shiv Sena on Saturday staged simultaneous protests at 12 places across the metropolis against the hike in prices of fuel, essential commodities and domestic gas cylinders. Amid intense speculation that Sena president Uddhav Thackeray — during his Dussehra rally to be held next week — might announce withdrawal of his party’s support to the...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Sep 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
Chief Minister Raghubar Das on Saturday said that the foundation for new power plant at Patratu — a joint venture of Jharkhand Government and National Thermal Power Corruption (NTPC) will be laid soon. During a meeting with NTPC Chairman Gurdeep Singh here on Thursday CM said that the plant will not only fill the energy gap in State but will also be able to supply power to other States...