SC rejects Ansal’s plea for extending surrender date
Real estate tycoon Gopal Ansal failed to get any further time for surrender after the Supreme Court on Monday refused to entertain his request to extend his surrender date till the President decides on his mercy petition.
Senior advocate Ram Jethmalani appeared for the businessman who faces a one-year sentence for causing death due to negligence in the Uphaar fire tragedy of June 1997 which claimed 59 lives.
Making a mention of the case before a Bench headed by Chief Justice JS Khehar, Jethmalani pointed out that a mercy petition was filed by Ansal before the President who is yet to decide on it. Since the President was out of the country, Jethmalani requested the Court to give him more time for surrender.
The Bench, also comprising Justices DY Chandrachud and Sanjay Kishan Kaul said, “This mention you make before the President of India. Your request is beyond our purview. How can we tell President to take up your mercy petition?”
The Court was aware that this was the second time around that Ansal had approached the Court to defer his surrender. On February 8 this year, the apex court by a 2:1 verdict decided on CBI’s review petition and directed Gopal Ansal to surrender within a month and undergo the remaining seven months of his one-year prison term. However, his elder brother Sushil Ansal was exempted from undergoing the sentence on account of his old age.
On March 8, Gopal Ansal sought review of the review petition and sought parity with his brother. But the Apex Court dismissed it and fixed March 20 for his surrender. On Monday, when the time came for his surrender, he again sought time that found no favour with the Court.
- Aanakkada full of real life stories about elephants 29 May 2017 | Kumar Chellappan
- ‘SP, BSP spreading canard against Yogi Govt’ 29 May 2017 | PNS
- Patidar member hurls shoe at Union Minister 29 May 2017 | PNS
- Major reshuffle of PCS officers in UP 29 May 2017 | PNS
- Increase in false rape plaints in Rampur: Police 29 May 2017 | PTI
- Guj Govt swings into action after Zika confirmation 29 May 2017 | NAYAN DAVE
- KCR to open his cards only after NDA, Opp announce Prez candidates’ names 29 May 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Andhra CM Naidu keen to continue with BJP 29 May 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Forest land to be converted into revenue villages: Yogi 29 May 2017 | PNS
- Shutdown, curfew in Valley hit normal life 29 May 2017 | Khursheed Wani
Sunday EditionView All
28 May 2017 | Omer Farooq | Hyderabad
The love marriage of an Upper Caste girl with a lower caste boy has ended in a grisly tragedy. As the girl ended her life due to harassment of her family, police have arrested her father T Srinivas Reddy on the charges of murdering his son-in-law Amboji Naresh...
STATE EDITIONSView All
29 May 2017 | PRAGYA PALLAVI/ PARVINDER BHATIA/ ASHIS SINHA | Ranchi/ Jamshedpur/ Bokaro
Harsh Shah of DAV Public School, Pundag, grabbed the first position in the State in science stream by scoring 97.8 per cent marks in the All India Senior Secondary School Certificate Exam (AISSSCE) results declared on Sunday...