- Poll verdict a lesson to Congress for criticising Gujarat model: Adityanath
- When celebrations turned sombre at Congress office
- Modi flashes victory sign as BJP close to winning Gujarat, Himachal
- Poll results approval of Modi govt's policies: Rajnath Singh
- 12 killed in fire at a shop in Mumbai
- BJP poised to take power in Himachal
- After early hiccups, BJP set to retain power in Gujarat
- Cong to build alternative narrative based on fairness,jobs for all: Chidambaram
- AIADMK battles war within; actors eye political vacuum in TN
- DRDO has key role in 'Make in India' programme: Sitharaman
- BJP supporters scuttle programme in memory of Nirbhaya: AAP
Sonia Gandhi urges PM to pass Women Reservation Bill
Congress president Sonia Gandhi has written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, urging him to get the Women’s Reservation Bill passed in the Lok Sabha by taking advantage of the BJP’s majority in the House.
Sonia Gandhi assured him of her party’s support to the legislation, which she said would be a significant step forward in the empowerment of women.
The Rajya Sabha had passed the bill on March 9, 2010.“I am writing to request you to take advantage of your majority in the Lok Sabha to now get the women’s reservation Bill passed in the Lower House as well,” Gandhi said in the letter, dated September 20.
Speaking to reporters here, Congress women’s wing chief Sushmita Dev questioned the alleged delay by the Government in ensuring the passage of the bill in the Lok Sabha.
The ruling BJP should show that its commitment towards the legislation is not mere “symbolism”, she said.
She asked Modi to assure the country’s women that the reservations would be implemented before 2019, when the next general elections will be held.In her letter, Gandhi recalled that the Congress and its late leader Rajiv Gandhi had first mooted the provision for quotas for women in panchayats and municipal bodies through Constitution amendment bills.
Gandhi said the bills were “thwarted” by the opposition in 1989, but were passed by both the Houses of Parliament in 1993.Dev, who read the letter out to reporters at the briefing, said, “The question we ask Modiji after three years of the BJP coming to power) is...Why the delay?”
The lawmaker said given the work that will follow once a decision is taken to pass the bill in the Lok Sabha and the time that it will take, the government will have to get going with the business “right now”.
- Didi‚Äôs PM dream stokes House stance opposite Rahul 18 Dec 2017 | Saugar Sengupta
- J&K snowfall: Mughal Road closed for 8th day 18 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Yogi lauds PAC for smooth conduct of Gujarat elections 18 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Yogi launches Saubhagya scheme from UP‚Äôs Unnao 18 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Youth killed in Valley crossfire, probe ordered 18 Dec 2017 | Khursheed Wani
- Law, order issue likely to rock UP Houses 18 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Amar Singh bats for Ram Mandir 18 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Jaitley calls for radical judicial, edu reforms 18 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Work to integrate Brahmos on 40 Sukhoi aircraft begins 18 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Immovable property acquisition Bill in LS today 18 Dec 2017 | Rajesh Kumar
Sunday EditionView All
17 Dec 2017 | PNS | BHUBANESWAR
The State Government has recommended to the Shree Jagannath Temple Administration (SJTA) to stop entry of devotees into the sanctum sanctorum (Garvagriha) of the shrine. In a letter to the SJTA, the Government has asked for restrictions on darshan of the deities by devotees, including VIPs...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Dec 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
Police are investigating different possibilities in the case of the two men found dead at the Sant Nirankari Satsang Bhawan on Friday. The bodies of Kamal Ram, a native of Rudraprayag and Sonu Kumar of Dehradun were found at Sant Nirankari Satsang Bhawan near Haridwar Bypass...