- Don't muzzle Constitution: Cong on Naidu's decision to reject impeachment notice
- Metro girder collapses in Ghaziabad
- CJI, other judges sat at 10.45 AM to undertake court proceedings
- Swamy hails VP's decision rejecting impeachment notice
- Shiv Sena leader Sachin Sawant shot dead in Mumbai
- Venkaiah Naidu rejects impeachment notice against CJI
Sowing of kharif crops progresses well
Sowing of kharif crops like paddy is progressing well so far except in parts of Karnataka and no damage to crops has been reported yet from States like Odisha and Assam facing flood-like situation.
According to Secretary (Agriculture) Shobhan K Pattanayak, except for south interior parts of Karnataka, sowing of kharif crops across the country is progressing well so far. "Overall, the acreage is higher than the year-ago period," Pattanayak said.
Asked about States like Karnataka where some parts have not received rains as yet, the secretary said, "Farmers in the State are waiting for rains at this crucial period of sowing. We hope that next 4-5 days, the State receives good rains." Southern parts of the State, especially Dharwad and Gadag, have not received enough rains so far and the water level in reservoirs is also very low, he said.
But in other parts of the state, the situation is better and planting of kharif crops is progressing, he added.
The area sown to cash crops — cotton and sugarcane — has risen so far while the acreage under soyabean and tur is a little lower, but "it's not a concern as of now". "Overall, the sowing is good. We hope good production," Pattanayak added.
According to weather forecast, Southwest monsoon is likely to remain vigorous over Coastal Odisha, Coastal Andhra Pradesh, and North Konkan and Goa. The northern plains such as Delhi, Haryana, and Punjab will receive light and patchy rains till July 18. Rain is likely to increase from July 20 and many parts of Punjab, Haryana, Delhi, West Uttar Pradesh and North Rajasthan is expected to witness good rains till July 23.
About the flood-hit States, Pattanayak said, "We have not received any reports of crop damage yet. Till last week, paddy was sown in 125.77 lakh hectares, up by 4.5 per cent from 120.32 lakh hectares a year ago, as per the agriculture ministry's data. Pulse acreage remained higher at 74.61 lakh hectares from 60.28 lakh hectares while coverage of coarse cereals stood at 113.06 lakh hectares as against 98.79 lakh hectares in the said period.
However, the oilseed area went down to 103.92 lakh hectares, from 115.75 lakh hectares a year earlier.
In the case of cash crops, sugarcane acreage stood higher at 47.94 lakh hectares till last week of the ongoing kharif season, from 45.22 lakh hectares in the year-ago period.
- Leopard captured in J&K's Ramban 24 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Situation created by Modi govt worse than emergency: Yashwant 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Cong responsible if Dalits face atrocities even 70 yrs after independence: Paswan 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- SC seeks govt's reply on plea against polygamy, nikah halala 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Parents held for killing newborn, abandoning body 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- PM Modi to visit Nepal on May 11 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Oli speaks to Indian, Pak PMs to restart SAARC 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Swamy moves SC for right to pray at Ayodhya 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Disclose number of files on Subhas Chandra Bose: CIC to PMO 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- India to get 2 world-class rly stations by 2019 24 Apr 2018 | Deepak Kumar Jha
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The first meeting of Acharya Shankar Ekta Nyas was held under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Monday at Chief Minister’s residence. Discussion on setting up statue, museum, institution establishment, premises construction, architectural style and vision, rules of the trust, administrative requirements, financial management and formation of executive committee was held in the meeting...