- Taliban kill 18 soldiers in attack on Afghan army base: Officials
- Will shift operations partially to IGI T2 in coming weeks: IndiGo
- False allegations levelled against me but truth will prevail: Choksi to employees
- FM slams regulators' failure to detect PNB fraud
- Delhi diamond exporter booked for Rs 389-cr OBC loan fraud
Thousands hit by diarrhoea in Kolkata
The diarrhoea situation worsened in southern parts of Kolkata and some adjacent suburbs with more than 2,000 people falling victim to the water-borne disease, Kolkata Municipal Corporation sources said.
While Mayor Sovan Chatterjee denied any report of water contamination contradicting his senior officials’ assertion that ongoing underground sewer renovation works could have triggered the crisis, situation worsened and reports of infections came pouring from newer areas across a large part of southern Kolkata spread over about 10-15 wards threatening more 10 lakh people, sources said.
Hospitals were crammed with patients and “many victims had to be refused admission because of shortage of beds,” staff at Beleghata ID Hospital and Bagha Jatin State General Hospital said.
The disease had spread to Kasba, Dhakuria, Salimpur, Jadavpur, parts of posh Tolygunge in the past one day after initially hitting areas at Bagha Jatin, Santoshpur sources said. “We are prepared with ample number of ORS and medications and hope the situation will be controlled in a day’s time” the Mayor said.
- EC censures Vasundhara for speech intimidating voters 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Elections to 59 RS seats on March 23 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Sunanda case: Response sought from Delhi Police on Swamy‚Äôs plea 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Court refuses to stay summon against Karti 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Call to appoint Lokpal on March 1: Centre to SC 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- CBI registers corruption case against Aurangabad DM Tanuj, officials 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Army floats global tender for 5.5L rifles 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Investors Summit waste of money, says Mayawati 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Don‚Äôt consider Class XI marks for college entry: PIL in Madras HC 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Shotgun fires fresh salvo at PM Modi 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Feb 2018 | PNS
Special cleanliness drive today Bhopal: The Sant Nirankari Charitable Foundation is organising a special cleanliness drive on Saturday at Government Sultania Hospital on Saturday. The Nirankari volunteers will assemble at 7...