- Don't muzzle Constitution: Cong on Naidu's decision to reject impeachment notice
- Metro girder collapses in Ghaziabad
- CJI, other judges sat at 10.45 AM to undertake court proceedings
- Swamy hails VP's decision rejecting impeachment notice
- Shiv Sena leader Sachin Sawant shot dead in Mumbai
- Venkaiah Naidu rejects impeachment notice against CJI
UP Assembly security breach: ATS fails to make headway
With top officials of National Investigating Agency (NIA) yet to issue any formal order on the recommendation of UP Government to take up probe into the recovery of explosive in the Assembly, an enquiry initiated by sleuths of Anti-Terrorists Squad (ATS) has failed to make any headway due to the absence of credible evidence.
"No, we have failed to find out any clue with the help of Close Circuit Televisions (CCTVs) set up inside and outside the Assembly," disclosed a senior ATD officer.
"The probe so far has made it clear that the there is no terror angle behind PETN being found under the cushion of a chair inside Assembly. It is now confirmed that either it was the mischief of some employee or even a lawmaker to create panic or some other reason and hence the material was brought inside the House," the officer further claimed.
Explaining his theory, the offcial said, "The manner in which PETN was found spread under the cushion, it cleared the air that there was no terror conspiracy. The plastic explosive was not found inside any packet but was spread on the corner of the cushion of the seat."
Sources said that after the probe agency recorded the statements of SP MLAs from Unchahar (Rae bareli) Manoj Pandey and from Kannauj Anil Kumar Dohre.
Dohre reportedly rold theinvestiagtors that he arrived in Lucknow from Kannauj on the fateful day, meting some party leaders before reachiong the House.
The MLA reportedly said that Pandey was already seated before he went to his chair. He also claimed that he did not feel any substance lying under the cushion before leaving the seat. Dohre denied having any knowledge about the substance.
Sources said that now the ATS sleuths would record statements of other MLAs from Opposition parties to check contradictions.
However, CCTV footage showed that only Pandey and Dohre had occupied that seat under which the explsoive was found. The footages do not indicate as to how and when the substance was put under the cushion.
The ATS is also waiting for detailed report of the substance from Forensic Science Laboratory in Hyderbad to confirm about the Rs potency' of the PETN.
Earlier, IG of ATS Aseem Arun said that investigation was underway to trace out the person who kept by explosive but there were no concrete leads yet.
"Officials in the Assembly and employees have been already quizzed along with Assistant Marshal, Engineers, Security prsonnel with the dog squad, AC operator and class IV staff," the IG said.
The security personnel also checked 23 camera recordings, including 12 in the Assembly permises, six inside the House, two at the entry and exit gates for ruling and opposition members and three cameras of Doordarshan, which telecast the live proceedings.
During a mock drill and checking inside the Assembly premises, security personnel found several empty packets of gutka and tobacco besides a packet containing 150 grams of powder.
- Leopard captured in J&K's Ramban 24 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Situation created by Modi govt worse than emergency: Yashwant 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Cong responsible if Dalits face atrocities even 70 yrs after independence: Paswan 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- SC seeks govt's reply on plea against polygamy, nikah halala 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Parents held for killing newborn, abandoning body 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- PM Modi to visit Nepal on May 11 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Oli speaks to Indian, Pak PMs to restart SAARC 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Swamy moves SC for right to pray at Ayodhya 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Disclose number of files on Subhas Chandra Bose: CIC to PMO 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- India to get 2 world-class rly stations by 2019 24 Apr 2018 | Deepak Kumar Jha
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The first meeting of Acharya Shankar Ekta Nyas was held under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Monday at Chief Minister’s residence. Discussion on setting up statue, museum, institution establishment, premises construction, architectural style and vision, rules of the trust, administrative requirements, financial management and formation of executive committee was held in the meeting...