Veteran lawyer Anil Divan is no more
Eminent lawyer and constitutional expert Anil Divan breathed his last on Monday leaving behind a legacy of cases he immortalized with his arguments. He was 86.
Divan started his practice from the Bombay High Court and had become a leading luminary in the legal field at a very early age. He was appointed the amicus curiae by the Supreme Court in the Jain Hawala case back in the 1990s.
He was the founding member of the Centre for Public Interest Litigation, and continued to be associated with its work, particularly in the field of public interest litigation aimed to expose corruption in public administration and governance. Notable among the expose by CPIL includes the 2G scam and the alleged illegal dealings between former CBI Director Ranjit Sinha with accused in the 2G and coal scam.
Divan was a true fighter against corruption and due to his impeccable integrity, fought the case for his friend
and senior lawyer Ram Jethmalani in unearthing the black money of several Indians stashed in foreign tax havens. It was his arguments that led the Court to formation of a Special Investigation Team (SIT) that currently monitors probe into black money transactions.
“The nation has lost an ideal member of the Bar who was a great lawyer and a loyal servant of India," commented Jethmalani offering his condolence on Divan's death. The Supreme Court Bar Association mourned the loss of the legal stalwart. Divan had been the President of Bar Association of India too.
- Inshort 19 Aug 2017 | Pioneer
- Central Govt official praises Telangana's land survey 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Postage stamp featuring Mithila headgear issued 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Govt slow in investigating irregularities in Adani‚Äôs inflated invoicing: Cong 19 Aug 2017 | PNS
- Delhi tourist raped at Hyd guest house on Aug 15 night 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- CPI(M) complains to Min over MTNL internet blackout for last 7 days 19 Aug 2017 | PNS
- Tripura Govt not to go to court on Sarkar speech 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- No info from Pak on ad-hoc judge for Jadhav case: MEA 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Reports of BrahMos sale to Vietnam incorrect: Govt 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- 11 mn people hit due to floods in India: Report 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
20 Aug 2017 | AFP | Washington
The entire President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities, that includes Indian-Americans Jhumpa Lahiri and Kal Penn, has resigned over President Donald Trump’s controversial remarks after the racist violence in Virginia. In a letter signed by 16 of 17 committee members, including author Lahiri and actor Penn, Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Paris Agreement on climate change has also been cited as a reason for their resignation...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Solar power plants having total capacity of 2,467 kWp have been installed at various places including industries in Chhattisgarh in 2016-17, the Central Government has informed. Notably, Chhattisgarh Government has decided to identify more potentially rich areas for installation of renewable energy projects and carry out advance planning for evacuation and transmission of power in an effective and coordinated manner...