Veteran lawyer Anil Divan is no more
Eminent lawyer and constitutional expert Anil Divan breathed his last on Monday leaving behind a legacy of cases he immortalized with his arguments. He was 86.
Divan started his practice from the Bombay High Court and had become a leading luminary in the legal field at a very early age. He was appointed the amicus curiae by the Supreme Court in the Jain Hawala case back in the 1990s.
He was the founding member of the Centre for Public Interest Litigation, and continued to be associated with its work, particularly in the field of public interest litigation aimed to expose corruption in public administration and governance. Notable among the expose by CPIL includes the 2G scam and the alleged illegal dealings between former CBI Director Ranjit Sinha with accused in the 2G and coal scam.
Divan was a true fighter against corruption and due to his impeccable integrity, fought the case for his friend
and senior lawyer Ram Jethmalani in unearthing the black money of several Indians stashed in foreign tax havens. It was his arguments that led the Court to formation of a Special Investigation Team (SIT) that currently monitors probe into black money transactions.
“The nation has lost an ideal member of the Bar who was a great lawyer and a loyal servant of India," commented Jethmalani offering his condolence on Divan's death. The Supreme Court Bar Association mourned the loss of the legal stalwart. Divan had been the President of Bar Association of India too.
- Four global firms keen to build Indian subs 21 Oct 2017 | Pioneer News Service
- Ayush Ministry, ICMR decide to conduct molecular-based research 21 Oct 2017 | Pioneer News Service
- Indo-Russian joint military exercise starts in Vladivostok 21 Oct 2017 | PNS
- 24% of infant deaths in India: UN report 21 Oct 2017 | PNS
- Tillerson‚Äôs pro-India remarks hailed 21 Oct 2017 | PNS
- Rajnath to pay homage to policemen killed in 1959 Chinese firing 21 Oct 2017 | Pioneer News Service
- Govt should supply pulses through ration shops: IPGA 21 Oct 2017 | PNS
- Congress takes swipe at PM over Kedarnath remarks, Jay Shah issue 21 Oct 2017 | PNS
- Congress slams EC for delay in Guj poll dates 21 Oct 2017 | PNS
- Don‚Äôt post photos on social media, Deoband fatwa tells Muslims 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Oct 2017 | IANS | Mumbai
Coming out in support of young victims of social media trolls, Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) President Sharad Pawar on Saturday exhorted them to speak out against the wrong policies of the Government and oppose growing incidents of intolerance and fascism across India. In an unique initiative, Pawar met around 35 youngsters who have been threatened on social media and/or booked by police for speaking out their minds against the Government and...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Dejected over refusal of non-payment of loan installment for bike by his father, a 22-year-old youth committed suicide by hanging with the ceiling at his Sankracharya Nagar residence under Bajaria police station area on Thursday. Police said that the deceased Shubham Malviya was found hanging with the ceiling and was rushed to a nearby hospital where he was declared dead...