Veteran lawyer Anil Divan is no more
Eminent lawyer and constitutional expert Anil Divan breathed his last on Monday leaving behind a legacy of cases he immortalized with his arguments. He was 86.
Divan started his practice from the Bombay High Court and had become a leading luminary in the legal field at a very early age. He was appointed the amicus curiae by the Supreme Court in the Jain Hawala case back in the 1990s.
He was the founding member of the Centre for Public Interest Litigation, and continued to be associated with its work, particularly in the field of public interest litigation aimed to expose corruption in public administration and governance. Notable among the expose by CPIL includes the 2G scam and the alleged illegal dealings between former CBI Director Ranjit Sinha with accused in the 2G and coal scam.
Divan was a true fighter against corruption and due to his impeccable integrity, fought the case for his friend
and senior lawyer Ram Jethmalani in unearthing the black money of several Indians stashed in foreign tax havens. It was his arguments that led the Court to formation of a Special Investigation Team (SIT) that currently monitors probe into black money transactions.
“The nation has lost an ideal member of the Bar who was a great lawyer and a loyal servant of India," commented Jethmalani offering his condolence on Divan's death. The Supreme Court Bar Association mourned the loss of the legal stalwart. Divan had been the President of Bar Association of India too.
- Body of man found in drain in NE Delhi 19 Dec 2017 | PTI
- No haste in disqualifying rebel AIADMK MLAs: Speaker tells HC 19 Dec 2017 | PTI
- CBI to HC: Criminal case registered in AIIMS paper leak 19 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Unable to clear garbage, what edu will you impart: HC to Delhi Govt, MCD 19 Dec 2017 | PTI
- NEET, JEE may be conducted twice a year 19 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Delhi‚Äôs office rentals more expensive than Washington, Dubai 19 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Results will not have any impact on Karnataka polls: CM 19 Dec 2017 | Kestur Vasuki
- Greetings pour in 19 Dec 2017 | V Sudhakar Rao
- Jubilant scenes at Tamil Nadu BJP headquarters 19 Dec 2017 | Kumar Chellappan
- Nitish phones Modi & Shah, greets duo 19 Dec 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
17 Dec 2017 | PNS | BHUBANESWAR
The State Government has recommended to the Shree Jagannath Temple Administration (SJTA) to stop entry of devotees into the sanctum sanctorum (Garvagriha) of the shrine. In a letter to the SJTA, the Government has asked for restrictions on darshan of the deities by devotees, including VIPs...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The State of World Children 2017 Report was released here on Monday in Madhya Pradesh in the presence of children and young people at a Children Carnival in Bhopal on Monday. Around 150 children and young people from Bhopal, Itarsi and Harda participated...