Veteran lawyer Anil Divan is no more
Eminent lawyer and constitutional expert Anil Divan breathed his last on Monday leaving behind a legacy of cases he immortalized with his arguments. He was 86.
Divan started his practice from the Bombay High Court and had become a leading luminary in the legal field at a very early age. He was appointed the amicus curiae by the Supreme Court in the Jain Hawala case back in the 1990s.
He was the founding member of the Centre for Public Interest Litigation, and continued to be associated with its work, particularly in the field of public interest litigation aimed to expose corruption in public administration and governance. Notable among the expose by CPIL includes the 2G scam and the alleged illegal dealings between former CBI Director Ranjit Sinha with accused in the 2G and coal scam.
Divan was a true fighter against corruption and due to his impeccable integrity, fought the case for his friend
and senior lawyer Ram Jethmalani in unearthing the black money of several Indians stashed in foreign tax havens. It was his arguments that led the Court to formation of a Special Investigation Team (SIT) that currently monitors probe into black money transactions.
“The nation has lost an ideal member of the Bar who was a great lawyer and a loyal servant of India," commented Jethmalani offering his condolence on Divan's death. The Supreme Court Bar Association mourned the loss of the legal stalwart. Divan had been the President of Bar Association of India too.
- India successfully test-fires BrahMos supersonic cruise 22 May 2018 | PTI
- KVIC sets world record on World Honey-Bee Day 22 May 2018 | PNS
- China calls mining report near Arunachal border ‚Äėgroundless‚Äô 22 May 2018 | IANS
- Modi tells students he saw a Putin different from the President 22 May 2018 | PTI
- PM invokes Vajpayee to assert strong bond between India, Russia 22 May 2018 | PTI
- Indo-Russian ties enjoy strategic partnership: Modi to Putin 22 May 2018 | PTI
- NHRC issues notice to UP Govt over 13 hooch deaths 22 May 2018 | PNS
- UP police pledges to fight subversive forces on Rajiv Gandhi death anniversary 22 May 2018 | PNS
- Rly to close 150 yrs old rail section in Patna for road 22 May 2018 | Faizan Ahmad
- Stamped ballot papers lay strewn in Bengal boondocks 22 May 2018 | Saugar Sengupta
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A women’s youth camp under Go Rurban camp with the objective to connect rural and urban youth together will be held at village Sijora district Dindori. The basic idea of the camp is to build a stronger bridge in order to fill the gap between rural and urban society...