Villagers burn forest after leopard kills U'khand boy
Around eight hectares of forest land was burnt to ashes by angry villagers in Uttarakhand's Bageshwar district after a leopard mauled to death a seven-year-old boy, the second such incident in three months, police said.
The attack took place on Monday evening when the boy had gone out of his home in Harinagri village to answer nature's call while his mother was in the kitchen, Chief Conservator of Forest BP Gupta told PTI.
The leopard dragged the boy inside the forest surrounding the house. The next morning, his half eaten body was recovered by villagers 250 metres away, Gupta said.
"Angry villagers numbering around 4000-5000 set on fire eight hectares of van panchayat land in the village yesterday," Gupta, who is also the nodal officer for forest fires said quoting Bageshwar DFO RK Singh.
The fire could not be extinguished as irate villagers did not allow outsides to enter the village, he said.
The villagers also blamed the same leopard for killing a four-year-old boy in the area in March this year.
"Since it was the second such incident in the area, the villagers may have burnt down the forest to clear the thickets and destory the big cat's hideout to save themselves," the official said.
According to Gupta, the leopard has been declared a man-eater and an order to kill it has been issued, Gupta said.
- Foreingers held under prohibition act in Patna 18 Jun 2018 | Faizan Ahmad
- Missing Indian, Nepali workers in Nepal hydro project accident rescued 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Signalled to stop, speeding car drags Bhopal cop 500m 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Assam lynching: One more arrested, total tally rises to 31 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Ahead of MP bypolls, BJP Cong gear up for cyber war 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- ‚ÄėSouthwest monsoon to revive in 5-6 days‚Äô 18 Jun 2018 | PNS
- Mallya faces fresh charges under new Ordinance 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- ISRO clears GSAT-1 for launch 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Lateral entry scheme an attempt to saffronise bureaucracy: Moily 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Swaraj leaves for 7-day tour of four European nations 18 Jun 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jun 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | GIRIDIH
A team of Ganday police of Giridih district have arrested three cyber criminals and found 6 mobiles, 3 ATM cards, one cheque book of Bank of India ,and 8 Sim card and other gadgets from them near Raskutta, Jhilwa, Madhupur and Chapri village of Madhupur under Ganday police station on Sunday. The criminals were identified as Naresh Mandal, Nandkishor Mandal and Mahesh Hembram...