Abetment to What?
Abetment to suicide is a very strange provision in the Indian Penal Code, an old Victorian-era set of laws that desperately needs to be changed. Short of actually encouraging someone to kill themselves by actively telling them to jump off a ledge or pull the trigger, we cannot and should not judge a broken relationship as the cause for suicide.
Relationships can break in many ways and people can have vastly different reactions to it. And yes, after the failure of a relationship whether or not formalised by marriage some people have, do and will continue to physically harm themselves, even kill themselves. Now, accusing the other partner of being a cad, player or unfaithful might win you sympathy in an emotional court of friends, but why should that apply in a court of law? Why should courts judge human relationships?
- Game over 19 Jun 2018 | Pioneer
- Sign up for a Staycation 19 Jun 2018 | Pioneer
- Train trouble 19 Jun 2018 | Pioneer
- Not done, Imran Khan 18 Jun 2018 | Pioneer
- Black Eid 16 Jun 2018 | Pioneer
- Ronaldo hattrick hits Spain 16 Jun 2018 | Pioneer
- The Only Khan in the race 16 Jun 2018 | Pioneer
- Cricket versus football. Who will win? 15 Jun 2018 | Pioneer
- Politics of Iftaar 15 Jun 2018 | Pioneer
- Recipe Goes Wrong 14 Jun 2018 | Pioneer
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A 35-year-old woman’s body was recovered from an autorickshaw at Rethghat under Talaiya police station area late in the night on Monday. Sensation prevailed in Retghat area on Monday night after body of a woman was recovered the auto rickshaw and after spotting the woman police were informed...