Beat the summer heat
Saumya Shatakshi lists foods to incorporate in your daily diet this scorching summer
Indian summer is as hot as ever. Cases of heat stroke, dehydration, food poisoning, sluggish liver and bloating are on a rise. Apart from following the thumb rule of drinking lots of fluids to keep hydrated, here are a top 10 foods to one should incorporate and avoid in this scorching summer:
- Watermelon: It contains 90% water and is low in calories, making it the first option to hydrate in the sun. Opt for the whole fruit or a glass of fresh juice.
- Gazpacho: It is a perfect cold summer soup, which is both delicious and refreshing. Cooked with healthy ingredients like bell peppers, tomatoes, and cucumbers, this light yet flavourful soup is preferred for its anti-oxidant properties. Rich in lycopene and Vit C, Gazpacho has anti-ageing properties also.
- Avocado: It is an excellent source of monounsaturated fat and is recommended for a healthy heart.
- Cucumber: It contains 95% of water, helping you keep hydrated and is low in calories and fats, vitamins, folate and potassium. It helps in weight loss, boosts metabolism and immune system.
- Mint: It can be added to curd to create an appetizing raita or chutney or as a dip. Mint leaves are loaded with antioxidant and phytonutrient which helps in digestion and soothes our tummy.
- Coconut water: It is the best natural thirst quencher and adds a glow to your skin. It is rich in minerals like zinc, magnesium, calcium, potassium, sodium. It has cancer-fighting and anti-ageing properties as well.
- Curd: It is the best source of probiotics. Curd has a cooling effect and can be consumed by people who are lactose intolerant. It is rich in calcium and protein. Regular consumption of curd lowers the risk of heart disease.
- Corn on the cob: Corn on the cob without butter or salt is a high-fiber, low-calorie food. It aids in digestion.
- Green veggies: They have a high content of water in them. Loaded with vitamins, minerals and dietary fibres, they help in digestion and to keep the bloated stomach and sluggish liver at bay.
- Fruit salad: Summer is a peak season for fruit lovers and weight watchers. Fruits are a potent source of dietary fibre, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. So, have ample of fruit salads.
The writer is senior nutritionist, Healthians.
- Breathe easy 19 Jun 2018 | SANGEETA YADAV
- Eat right stay fit 19 Jun 2018 | SANGEETA YADAV
- Docyard | Donate blood, save 3 lives 19 Jun 2018 | Dr Prashant Shetty
- SummerCooler 19 Jun 2018 | Pioneer
- DadiKaKehna 19 Jun 2018 | Roshani Devi
- TIPTOP 19 Jun 2018 | Pioneer
- Slimline 19 Jun 2018 | Pioneer
- Studycentre 19 Jun 2018 | Pioneer
- Summer no-nos 12 Jun 2018 | Saumya Shatakshi
- Docyard | Understanding brain tumour 12 Jun 2018 | Dr Rohan Sinha
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Jun 2018 | PNS | DALTONGANJ
214 Battalion of CRPF and Latehar district police on Monday recovered one AK56, said Commandant of 214 battalion of CRPF Ajay Singh. Sources said it has been recovered at village Kuyee under Garu police station which is a kendu leaf hub and here the stake of the extremists be they are CPI Maoists or JJMP is too high...