Food microwaved in plastic containers can put you at greater risk of infertility, diabetes, obesity and cancer as per recent studies. Heating plastic containers in the microwave releases 95% of all chemicals, which could lead to high blood pressure, affect fertility, and damage functioning of the brain. Padmashri awardee, Dr KK Aggarwal, president, Heart Care Foundation of India, said: “When food is heated in plastic containers in a microwave, the heat transfers the chemicals in plastic very effectively into the food. Indirect consumption of these chemicals can wreak havoc on the system. BPA & phthalates are believed to be ‘endocrine disrupters’, substances that mimic human hormones, and not essentially healthy for the system. ‘Microwave-safe’ labelling on a container indicates that they won’t melt or break when heated. However, they don’t guarantee safety for health.”
Transfer food to glass or ceramic containers labeled for use in microwave. Don't let plastic wrap touch food during microwaving as it may melt. Wax paper, kitchen parchment paper, white paper towels, or a domed container that fits over a plate or bowl are better alternatives.
- the good loser 22 May 2018 | Dr Naresh Arora
- fasting the healthy way 22 May 2018 | Saumya Satakshi
- TIPTOP 22 May 2018 | Pioneer Health
- Docyard | Thyroid is a major disruptor 22 May 2018 | Dr Dhrity Vats
- SummerCooler 22 May 2018 | Pioneer Health
- DadiKaKehna 22 May 2018 | Roshani Devi
- ‚ÄėHealthcare should be part of school syllabus‚Äô 22 May 2018 | PNS
- a b c d OF DYSLEXIA 15 May 2018 | Dr Sapna Zarwal
- Docyard | New scans for tumours 15 May 2018 | Dr Vikram Lele
- Family time healthy time 15 May 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A women’s youth camp under Go Rurban camp with the objective to connect rural and urban youth together will be held at village Sijora district Dindori. The basic idea of the camp is to build a stronger bridge in order to fill the gap between rural and urban society...