NGT notice to govt, BCCI on plea alleging misuse of water during IPL
A plea seeking ban on 2018 Indian Premier League cricket matches on the ground that it leads to wastage of lakhs of litres of water today prompted the National Green Tribunal to seek responses from the Centre, BCCI and others.
A bench headed by Justice Jawad Rahim issued notices to the Ministry of Water Resources, the Board of Control for Cricket in India and nine states where these matches are proposed to be held.
The parties have been directed to file their replies within two weeks and the matter has been posted for next hearing on April 28.
The tribunal's order came on a plea filed by Alwar-based youth Haidar Ali seeking action against all concerned for wasting enormous amounts of water to prepare the pitches for holding the tournament.
"Direct the authorities to stop holding the cash-rich tournament for commercial purpose which would be played at nine venues commencing April 7," the plea said.
The petition, filed through advocates Braham Singh and Rohit Vidhudi, contended there is rampant misuse of the water by some individuals, organisations and societies while on the other hand a major part of the country was suffering from the problem of water scarcity
"The 11th edition of IPL will be played at nine venues across 51 days and lakhs of litres of water is to be used for preparing pitches and in the stadium for playing 60 matches which would adversely affect the ground water level, ecosystem and the ecology of the country," the petition said.
- India aim for maiden CT title; play Pakistan in opener 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- India have world's best spinners to trouble England: Kumble 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Two new balls in ODIs is recipe for disaster: Tendulkar 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- BCCI finally clears players' central contract payments 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Mbappe sends France into 2nd round with 1-0 win over Peru 21 Jun 2018 | AP
- Australia gets crucial 1-1 draw with Denmark at World Cup 21 Jun 2018 | AP
- Jedinak equalizes for Australia vs Denmark 21 Jun 2018 | AP
- I am supporting France because of Pogba, says Yuvraj Singh 21 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Each day it becomes harder to win World Cup matches: Busquets 21 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Ronaldo sets record for Portugal; Morocco out 20 Jun 2018 | AP
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Observing the Yoga Day, the school students of Sharda Vihar School performed Yoga postures on Thursday. Observing International Yoga Day 750 students of the school got information about Yoga and students were informed about the benefits of Yoga were...