Star athletes shine at World Championships
World champions Dafine Schippers and Pawel Fajdek defended their titles on Day 8 of the competition at the London world championships here.
Dutch woman Schippers clocked a season best 22.05 seconds to retain the women's 200m title and Poland's Fajdek clinched his third consecutive world hammer throw title with an attempt of 79.81 meters on Friday night, reports Xinhua news agency.
Marie-Josee Ta Lou of Cote d'Ivoire took the 200m silver following her second finish in the 100m with a time of 22.08 seconds. Shaunae Miller-Uibo was third with 22.15.
For American Brittney Reese, it was the chance to regain the women's long jump title and she did not waste it, winning in 7.02m after she bagged the gold medal three times in a row between 2009 and 2013.
Darya Klishina, one of the Russian athletes competing as an authorised neutral athlete, took silver in the women's long jump with her season's best attempt of 7 meters while another American Tianna Bartoletta finished third with 6.97.
In the women's 3,000m steeplechase, Olympic bronze medallist Emma Coburn of the United States cut nearly four seconds off the championships record en route to winning in 9:02.58, beating the previous Championships record of 9:06.57 set by Russia's Yekaterina Volkova back in 2007.
The 26-year-old Coburn waited patiently behind world record holder Ruth Jebet of Bahrain and three Kenyan athletes, including defending champion Hyvin Kiyeng Jepkemoi, for most of the race, before charging for the lead together with her teammate Courtney Frerichs in the final lap.
Frerichs took the silver medal in 9:03.77, which is a personal best for the 24-year-old. And the bronze medal went to Jepkemoi with a clocking of 9:04.03.
Jepkemoi's compatriot Celliphine Chepteek Chespol clocked a world under-20 record of 9:15.04 to finish sixth.
- Indian hockey teams end year on 6th and 10th spots 12 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Sindhu, Srikanth eye maiden Dubai Super Series Final title 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Hurt and embarrassed, India seek revenge in Mohali 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Indian shooters shine at Asian Airgun Championship 11 Dec 2017 | IANS
- India to host Afghanistan for first-ever Test 11 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Taylor's 17th ton equals New Zealand record 11 Dec 2017 | AFP
- HWL Final: India overcome depleted Germany to pocket bronze 10 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Lakmal helps Sri Lanka dismiss India for 112 in first ODI 10 Dec 2017 | IANS
- SL win toss, opt to bowl 10 Dec 2017 | PTI
- HWL Final: Australia crush depleted Germany to reach final 09 Dec 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
10 Dec 2017 | AFP | Seoul
North Korea blamed US "nuclear blackmail" for soaring tensions over its weapons programme in rare meetings with a senior UN official, but agreed to regular communication with the organisation, state media said today. Jeffrey Feltman arrived in Beijing today after wrapping up a five-day visit to Pyongyang aimed at defusing the crisis, just a week after North Korea said it test-fired a new ballistic missile capable of reaching the United States...
STATE EDITIONSView All
13 Dec 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
The Congress will organise a yatra covering all the 11 districts where the party feels that the employment rights of the locals have been compromised with. The protest is also against the said promise reportedly made by Chief Minister Raghubar Das to amend the decision allowing outsiders into Government jobs in certain part of the State...