- BJP caricature of Rahul Gandhi not working any more: Tharoor
- PM inaugurates ferry service between Ghogha and Dahej in Guj
- AP CM Naidu meets scientists and food experts in US
- Democratic chairman: Trump 'most dangerous' president ever
- Mukul Roy likely to be inducted in BJP in Nov: party leader
- Militant killed in encounter in J-K's Kupwara
Bhajji requests Jumbo to look into Ranji fees
Time away from national team has given Harbhajan Singh a fresh perspective about the condition of an average domestic cricketer, prompting him to request chief national coach Anil Kumble to raise the issue of their match fees with the COA.
Kumble is set to give a presentation to the Committee of Administrators (COA) on May 21 about the revised pay structure of the contracted Indian cricketers with an eye on substantial hike on current central contract. The grades are Rs 2 crore, Rs 1 crore and Rs 50 lakh.
While the elite Indian cricketers are a sorted lot along with a handful of first-class players, who have IPL contracts, an average domestic cricketer still gets a match fee of Rs 1.5 lakh (first XI player) for a first-class game (Ranji Trophy and Duleep Trophy) compared to the Rs 15 lakh for a Test match.
One of India's finest spinners, Harbhajan has recently written to Kumble about the financial insecurities of domestic cricketers. The letter has Harbhajan making an emotional plea to Kumble.
"It's been last 2/3 years (that) I am playing Ranji Trophy. I hate that I've found constant struggle around me in the financial situation of my first-class teammates. Even though Ranji Trophy is hosted by the richest cricket board in the world, I appeal to you as a player, who is an inspiration and role model for all Ranji players," Harbhajan wrote to Kumble.
"I request you to please take this up with the top brass of BCCI and players like Sachin, Rahul, Laxman, Viru to ensure that a change is brought about in the pay structure, in the amounts they get paid," Harbhajan wrote.
Harbhajan finds it difficult to digest that the Ranji pay structure has not undergone revision for a long time. "I am willing to help/assist in any way to help bring in a change. It's shocking to say the least that the payment system hasn't been changed since 2004. Imagine the value of 100 rupees then and now. It is so different."
India's third highest wicket-taker in Tests felt that an average domestic cricketer can't plan his life and investments. "Imagine in today's day and age how can you call yourself a professional if your 'job' doesn't even tell you how much you will earn yearly?”
- Singles 22 Oct 2017 | Agencies
- India maul Pakistan 4-0 to enter Final 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Red Devils stumped, City still unbeaten 22 Oct 2017 | AP
- Srikanth sails into Final; Prannoy, Saina bow out 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Mali prevail over Ghana, enter semi 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- England cruise into s/f 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- ‚ÄėIndia at home are strongest in world‚Äô 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Blue army face Kiwis in opener 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Favourites Spain up against determined Iran 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Rahane is India's 3rd opener: Virat 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan will reach Washington DC on October 22. He has been invited by Pt Deendayal Upadhyay Forum, where he will address as a key speaker in the programme organised by the forum...