Dhawan replaces injured Vijay for Lanka Tests
In-form opener Shikhar Dhawan will replace injured Murali Vijay for the three-Test series in the upcoming India tour of Sri Lanka, a BCCI release confirmed on Monday.
Vijay hasn't fully recovered from the wrist injury he picked during the Test series against Australia, and has been advised to continue his rehabilitation programme.
"The All-India Senior Selection Committee on Monday named Shikhar Dhawan as the replacement for injured Murali Vijay in the Test team, which is scheduled to travel to Sri Lanka for a three-match Test series," the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) said in a statement.
"Vijay, who suffered a wrist injury during Australia's tour of India, has complained of pain in his right wrist, while playing a preparatory match.
The BCCI medical team has therefore advised that Vijay should continue his rehabilitation programme," it added.
Dhawan, who hasn't featured in the longest version of the game since the home Test series against New Zealand last September, has been in good nick in the shorter format of the game, particularly in the ICC Champions Trophy in England, where he emerged the highest scorer with 338 runs.
He is expected to open the innings with Lokesh Rahul in the first Test against the islanders despite having Tamil Nadu southpaw Abhinav Mukund in the squad as the third opener.
The first Test of the three match series begins on July 26.
Virat Kohli (Captain), Shikhar Dhawan, Lokesh Rahul, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane (vice-captain), Rohit Sharma, Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Wriddhiman Saha (WK), Ishant Sharma, Umesh Yadav, Hardik Pandya, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, M Shami, Kuldeep Yadav,
- Will work expeditiously to resolve stressed assets issue: Jaitley 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Delhi‚Äôs late blues continue, lose to Mumbai 23 Sep 2017 | Akshay Sharma
- Kuldeep reveals reason behind hat-trick wicket 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- ‚ÄėIndore pitch suitable for wrist spinners‚Äô 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Tendulkar recalls Raj's contribution to his career 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Now I also possess pace: Bhuvneshwar 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Cummins out of T20s against India 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Batting collapses need to stop: Smith 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Singles 23 Sep 2017 | Agencies
- Holders Kolkata play Kerala in ISL 4 openerb 23 Sep 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
17 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
A 38-year-old man has been arrested by the Farsh Bazaar police for allegedly duping people coming to ATM and fraudulently withdrawing their money. Twelve ATM cards have been recovered from his possession...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Sep 2017 | PNS | New Delhi
Migraine week at Orchid Orchid Medical Centre observed Migraine Week last week during which senior Neurologist Dr Ujjwal Roy gave free treatment to 54 migraine affected patients and said that if someone has long time headache or he has undergone changes in it, must consult a doctor as it could be secondary headache. He said that treatment from Botox injection could lead to 90 per cent release from migraine...