- S Africa widens hunt for Zuma allies to India, China
- India best placed to leverage technology: PM
- DMK to convene 'all-party' meet on Cauvery issue
- Pak charges Rs 2.86L as route navigation charges on PM flights
- Mentally challenged person shot dead near J&K Air Force station
- FIR against Rotomac promoter for Rs 800 cr bank fraud: CBI
- PNB fraud fallout: CBI seals Brady House Branch in Mumbai
India ready for battle: de Matos
After a gallant display against Colombia, ranked 10th in the World, the confident Indian U-17 team gear up to face Ghana in their third group stage match of the FIFA U-17 World Cup India here at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium on Thursday.
Technically the Indian colts could still qualify for the round-of-16, given a win against Ghana and courtesy other results going in their favour.
With ambition running high in the squad after their impressive outing against Colombia in the previous match, the colts are aiming for nothing less than a win that would eventually propel them into contention for a knock-out berth.
"We will go for nothing less than a win. We have shown the world that we belong on the same page as them and now we want to show that we can win against them," head coach Luis Norton de Matos said on the eve of the Ghana clash.
"Ghana challenge will be physical as well as a mental test for us. They (Ghana) are a strong physical team who are quick on the ball. We would have to be on our toes for the entirety of the match, if we are to secure a win," he added.
"However, the boys are ready for the challenge that will be thrown in front of them. We will give it our all and aim to create history once again."
SHOULDN'T BE GETTING ALL CREDIT: JEAKSON
After having etched his name into the history books, Indian U-17 midfielder Jaekson Singh described his goal scoring exploit as a "great feeling." But the lanky midfielder wasn't willing to bask in glory all for himself. "I'm very happy and I would like to thank my teammates as because of them I got the opportunity to score. "I only played my part. Just because I scored it doesn't mean that I should get all the credit. It was a great feeling for me as well as for the entire team and country," he stated.
"I want to dedicate the goal to my parents. I talked to my mother and she was very proud of me. My father is unwell after having suffered a cardiac arrest but he knows that I've scored for India. I was very excited at that moment; in fact, we all were watching the fans scream. But we conceded immediately and it was quite a shattering feeling. It was such a sweet and sour feeling for all of us. I was happy; we were all happy. But at the same time, it was a disappointment as we couldn't get a result which we fully deserved," he added.
- SL complete T20 win 19 Feb 2018 | AP
- Batting lets Eves down in 3rd T20 against South Africa 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- ‚ÄėOne of our most balanced performances‚Äô 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- England win battle, but NZ win war 19 Feb 2018 | AFP
- AB de Villiers ruled out of T20I series 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Singles 19 Feb 2018 | Agencies
- NO STOPPING BLUE ARMY 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- World No 1 Federer bags 97th career title 19 Feb 2018 | AP
- Rafi's late strike helps Chennai snatch a draw 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Lewandowski rescues Bayern with late victory 19 Feb 2018 | AP
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Feb 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | Bokaro
A police team of Bokaro Thermal police station headed by inspector cum officer-in charge Parmeshwar Leyangi on Sunday morning conducted raids at Ganjutola in Armo forest area here and seized approx 2.5 tonnes of illegal coal along with their 4 motorcycles and 5 cycles,said Bokaro SP Kartik S...