Irfan wins bronze in 20km Race Walk
National record holder K T Irfan clocked an impressive timing to win a bronze in the 20km men's event in the Asian Race Walk Championships here on Sunday.
Irfan finished the race in 1 hour 20 minutes and 59 seconds.
He was a tad slower than his national record timing of 1:20.21 which he set while finishing 10th in the 2012 London Olympics but was still able to earn a podium finish.
Korea's Kim Hyun-Sub took the gold in 1:19:50 while Georgiy Sheiko of Kazakhstan bagged the silver in 1:20:47.
27-year-old Irfan had won the National Race Walking Championships here last month in 1:22:43.48 and has already qualified for the World Championships in London in August.
In the women's 20km event, India's Priyanka failed to climb the podium as she finished fourth with a time of 1:37:42.
China's Wang Na comfortably won the gold medal with an effort of 1:30:51.
Host country walker Kumiko Okada finished second in 1:33:31 while Yeongeun Jeon of Korea took the third place in 1:34:35.
- Singles 20 Jan 2018 | Agencies
- Kiwis complete series whitewash 20 Jan 2018 | AFP
- India hammer Zimbabwe 20 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Look at positives, we took 20 wickets: Dhoni 20 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Impressive England beat Oz in 2nd ODI 20 Jan 2018 | AFP
- Players turn up heat on weather policy 20 Jan 2018 | AFP
- Nadal sails into 4th round 20 Jan 2018 | AP
- Federer shines, Djokovic survives 19 Jan 2018 | AFP
- Defensive skills letting Rohit down in Tests: Dean Jones 19 Jan 2018 | PTI
- ABD surprised by lively Indian attack 19 Jan 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
14 Jan 2018 | AFP | Yangon
Myanmar’s civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi has welcomed an unprecedented army admission that security forces carried out extra-judicial killings of Rohingya Muslims as a “positive step”, state-backed media reported on Saturday. After months of staunch denials of abuse, the army on Wednesday said a probe found four members of the security forces helped kill 10 Rohingya militant suspects at Inn Din village on September 2, leaving their bodies in a...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Jan 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Under searching questions for quite some time, Chief Minister Raghubar Das responded with all firmness to the unified Opposition in the House and answered some of its allegations to turn the tide. In his reply, particularly on the charges of inaction and being under pressure, the CM trained the gun on the JMM for running ‘baap-bete ki sarkar’ in the State...