- UP BJP MLA dies in road crash on way to Investors' Summit
- PNB fraud: Centre opposes plea for SIT probe, says probe on
- SC stays criminal proceedings against Priya Varrier, director
- CBI arrests PNB General Manager in $1.8 bn fraud case
- Chief Secretary row: Delhi Police questions CM's advisor
- CBI begins questioning of Rotomac owner Kothari
- AAP MLAs allegedly assault Delhi Chief Secretary in CM's presence
- PNB closed all options to recover dues by going public: Modi
- Fitch places PNB on 'Rating Watch Negative' with downgrade possibility
- PNB fraud: SC to hear PIL seeking SIT probe on Friday
- SC to hear actress Priya's plea seeking quashing of FIR
- India test fires medium range nuclear capable Agni-II missile
- Pak drug smuggler killed; 10 kg narcotics, arms seized along IB: BSF
Man City run riot at Basel
Manchester City sent out another statement to the rest of Europe by thrashing Basel 4-0 away in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 match on Tuesday, with Ilkay Gundogan scoring two of the goals.
The Premier League's runaway leaders scored three times between the 14th and 23 minutes - through Gundogan, Bernardo Silva and Sergio Aguero - before Gundogan added a fourth goal from long range in the 53rd minute.
City, who enjoyed 74 per cent possession, scored four goals away from home for the third time in this season's Champions League and have only lost two games in all competitions, one of them against Shakhtar Donetsk when qualification for the last 16 was already guaranteed.
This is the best chance City have had to win Europe's biggest prize, especially with one of Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain sure to be eliminated this round.
City didn't even have to be at their best on a bobbly pitch and near-freezing conditions to see off the Swiss champions, whose striker Dimitri Oberlin wasted chances either side of the visitors' flurry of goals. With his team still trying to win a quadruple of trophies, Guardiola had the luxury of substituting Kevin De Bruyne and Raheem Sterling around the hour mark for fit-again pair David Silva and Leroy Sane.
The return match is on March 7, when Juventus and Tottenham will also play their second leg after drawing 2-2 in Turin on Tuesday.
St. Jakob-Park hasn't been a happy ground for English teams, with Liverpool, Chelsea and - in this season's group stage - Manchester United all losing at Basel's atmospheric home in recent seasons in the Champions League.
Basel had their moments against City, especially early on when the visitors looked susceptible to a long ball behind center backs Vincent Kompany and Nicolas Otamendi. Oberlin could also have earned a penalty, after tumbling under a challenge from Otamendi.
"After 10 minutes, we could have been 2-0 down," Guardiola said. "After 20 minutes, we were 3-0 in the lead. We were clinical today."
It was a stroll for City from the moment Gundogan, playing in front of Germany coach Joachim Loew, met a corner by De Bruyne with a header that flew in at the near post. It was De Bruyne's 19th assist of a stunning season.
Four minutes later, Sterling crossed from the left, Silva chested the ball down and sent a dipping volley beyond the goalkeeper, who could only get his fingertips to the ball.
Aguero came into the match with 13 goals from 10 games in 2018 - four coming in one half against Leicester in the Premier League on Saturday - and naturally he got involved in the scoring.
Fernandinho was tackled 30 meters out but the ball fell to Aguero, who took one touch and shot low into the corner for his 198th goal for City.
Gundogan saved the best goal for last and it was another long-ranger that curled into the top corner from 25 meters.
That margin of victory gives Guardiola the option to rest key players for the second leg at Etihad Stadium, by which time City might have won the English League Cup — they play Arsenal in the final on February 25 — extended their 16-point lead in the Premier League, and advanced to the FA Cup quarterfinals.
"If we play like we did today and in the past few weeks," Gundogan said, "we will be successful, for sure."
- NZC backs Eden Park for T20 Final 21 Feb 2018 | AFP
- Eves eye double series win in SA 21 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Need to be more proactive, says Dala 21 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Sardar named captain for Azlan Shah Cup 21 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Virat crosses 900-point mark in test & odi 21 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Singles 21 Feb 2018 | Agencies
- India aim to seal deal 21 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Srikanth wants 21-point format to stay 21 Feb 2018 | PTI
- ‚ÄėWant to become No 1 this year‚Äô 21 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Indian coach Constantine accepts contract extension 21 Feb 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Feb 2018 | PNS
‘Paper Bag making’ workshop organised Jabalpur:To increase awareness of environment conservation ‘Paper Bag making’ workshop was organised by Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited and Xavier Institute of Development Action and Studies (Xidas) Jabalpur at Government Higher Secondary School Tilhari. The workshop was inaugurated by Regional Director HPCL PK Tomar and administrator of XIDAS Fr...