- Taliban kill 18 soldiers in attack on Afghan army base: Officials
- Will shift operations partially to IGI T2 in coming weeks: IndiGo
- False allegations levelled against me but truth will prevail: Choksi to employees
- FM slams regulators' failure to detect PNB fraud
- Delhi diamond exporter booked for Rs 389-cr OBC loan fraud
Mithali leads Indian eves to win in 1st T20
Opener Mithali Raj held the innings together with an unbeaten half-century as Indian women notched up a comfortable seven-wicket victory over South Africa in the first T20 International here on Tuesday.
Mithali (54) shared two crucial stands — a 69-run partnership for the third wicket with debutant Jemimah Rodrigues (37) and then added 52 runs with Veda Krishnamurthy (37 not out) for the unbroken fourth wicket — as India chased down a target of 165 with seven balls to spare.
India led the five-match T20 International series 1-0.
Mithali's knock, her 11th T20 International half century, came from 48 deliveries and she hit six fours, one six and carried her bat through the innings. India finished at 168 for three in 18.5 overs.
The 17-year-old Mumbai player Rodrigues also batted impressively, hitting four boundaries and a six during her breezy 27-ball knock.
After Rodrigues was out in the 14th over, Krishnamurthy did not allow the momentum to slow down, as she hit three boundaries and three sixes in her 22-ball innings.
The other opener, Smriti Mandhana, contributed 28 while one-down Harmanpreet Kaur was run out for nought in the first ball she faced.
For South Africa, leg-spinner Dane van Niekerk and left-arm pacer Moseline Daniels, took a wicket apiece.
- After fan violence, cop dies of heart stroke 24 Feb 2018 | AP
- Milan face Gunners in Europa last-16 clash 24 Feb 2018 | AP
- 2 goals not enough for napoli 24 Feb 2018 | AP
- Eves eye rare double series win 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- T20 must for game of cricket, says Ganguly 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- ‚ÄėBatsmen have to play smart‚Äô 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Raina looks for ODI comeback via T20 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- singles 24 Feb 2018 | Agencies
- All eyes on perfect finale 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Canada‚Äôs league gets ICC nod 23 Feb 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Feb 2018 | PNS
Special cleanliness drive today Bhopal: The Sant Nirankari Charitable Foundation is organising a special cleanliness drive on Saturday at Government Sultania Hospital on Saturday. The Nirankari volunteers will assemble at 7...