- PM hails soldiers who participated in 1971 Indo-Pak war
- Politics being used to crush people; Congress will defeat politics of hate: Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul will lead the party with courage, dedication: Sonia
- Body of JeM terrorist found from Pulwama dist in JK: Police
- Mizoram becomes third power-surplus state in NE: PM Modi
- Coalscam: Ex-Jharkhand CM Koda, former coal secy get 3 yr jail
- Rahul Gandhi takes charge as Congress president
Tiwary credits Dhoni for momentum shift
Seasoned Bengal cricketer Manoj Tiwary hailed charismatic Mahendra Singh Dhoni for providing the much-needed impetus to the Rising Pune Supergiant innings that proved decisive in the outcome of the Qualifier 1 against Mumbai Indians.
Dhoni smashed five sixes in his 40-run knock that propelled Supergiant to 162 four four. Supergiant reached the final with a 20-run win.
"The momentum shifted during the last two overs," said Tiwary who played a crucial knock of 58 in 48 balls before being run out. "We were struggling to get that until the 18th, 19th and 20th over where Mahi bhai (Dhoni) played some outstanding shots. It was not easy against Bumrah, but he showed why he is such a highly-talented player.
"He has so much of ability to hit the best bowlers in the IPL. Those sixes in the crucial overs helped us to put up a good total," said Tiwary who also put on 73 runs with Dhoni for the fourth wicket.
Tiwary said captain Steve Smith and coach Stephen Fleming told him and Ajinkya Rahane during the strategic time-out that a score of 160 was reachable. "Our bowlers executed the plans very well. They lost a couple of wickets in the Powerplay and we never looked back from thereon," added Tiwary referring to rookie bowler Washington Sunder's three-wicket haul, two of which were in one over, which stymied MI's run-chase.
17-year-old Sundar grabbed the wickets of two-time title winners' captain Rohit Sharma, Ambati Rayudu and Kieron Pollard in his second and third overs to finish with 3 for 16 and walk away with the man of the match award, the youngest to do so in IPL history.
Tiwary said his role in the team was well-defined, go in early and steady the ship if early wickets fall or bat lower down if a partnership gets built early on. "My role was like if couple of wickets fall in Powerplay, then I have to go. If a partnership builds then I had to come down because (England all rounder) Ben Stokes was there. MS bhai was there. So, mentally I was prepared. Before coming to the IPL, I had a plan to strike at a very high strike rate. But coming here, I was given this role. I have always planned myself that I will bat according to the situation. Luckily, everything is coming of well except a couple of bad scores prior to this game. I am happy with the way I have contributed."
- Sindhu trounces Yamaguchi in Dubai 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- ‚ÄėWill leave Vijender beaten & broken‚Äô 16 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Singles 16 Dec 2017 | Agencies
- Neroca register thrilling win on home debut 16 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Bhaag Chhangte Bhaag! 16 Dec 2017 | Aditya K Halder
- time for Delhi to get into groove 16 Dec 2017 | Aditya K Halder
- Malinga not in T2O squad 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Smith stands in England‚Äôs way 16 Dec 2017 | AFP
- Singles 15 Dec 2017 | Agencies
- Real Madrid rally to beat Al Jazira 15 Dec 2017 | AP
Sunday EditionView All
17 Dec 2017 | Gautam Mukherjee
Sudeep Chakravarti’s new book deals with the evolution of this intriguing community, factoring in everything from finances and food, to customs and interests, writes GAUTAM MUKHERJEE The last line in this book — “But why should anyone fight over beauty?” — makes fair, if poignant comment, on all that is Bengali. It is by no means the whole story, any more than the snippet of lyric at the very end...
STATE EDITIONSView All
16 Dec 2017 | PNS | Chandigarh
Eyeing 2019 Assembly and Parliamentary polls, Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal on Friday asked the senior bureaucrats to rise above considerations of caste and religion and assist the Government in framing such policies which met the aspirations of the people. The Chief Minster while speaking at the inaugural session of the three-day chintan shivir for Cabinet Ministers, IAS, IPS and IFS at Timber Trail Heights, in Parwanoo asked them to finalise...