Williams sisters kick-off with doubles win
Serena and Venus Williams have won their first Grand Slam doubles match in nearly two years.
The sisters moved into the second round of the French Open by coming back for a 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 victory over the 14th-seeded Japanese pairing of Shuko Aoyama and Miyu Kato in front of a Court 3 crowd that raucously supported the Americans.
The Williams-Williams duo last competed at a major tournament together at Wimbledon in 2016. They won their 14th Grand Slam title in women's doubles at the All England Club.
This return to doubles came a day after Serena Williams participated in Grand Slam singles for the first time in 16 months, winning her first-round match at Roland Garros. Venus Williams lost in the first round of singles on Sunday.
- Sweden, Korea eye chances in tough group 18 Jun 2018 | AP
- Belgium start with newcomers Panama 18 Jun 2018 | AP
- Three Lions under radar for opener against Tunisia 18 Jun 2018 | AP
- Musco bites 18 Jun 2018 | Agencies
- Ticos ticked off by Serbia 18 Jun 2018 | AP
- DEFENDING CHAMPS DEFENCELESS 18 Jun 2018 | AP
- Singles 18 Jun 2018 | Agencies
- ‚ÄėFocus is on fitness to win medal at Asiad‚Äô 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Roy and Buttler set up England win 18 Jun 2018 | AFP
- Chandimal charged over ball-tampering 18 Jun 2018 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jun 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | GIRIDIH
A team of Ganday police of Giridih district have arrested three cyber criminals and found 6 mobiles, 3 ATM cards, one cheque book of Bank of India ,and 8 Sim card and other gadgets from them near Raskutta, Jhilwa, Madhupur and Chapri village of Madhupur under Ganday police station on Sunday. The criminals were identified as Naresh Mandal, Nandkishor Mandal and Mahesh Hembram...