- PM hails soldiers who participated in 1971 Indo-Pak war
- Politics being used to crush people; Congress will defeat politics of hate: Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul will lead the party with courage, dedication: Sonia
- Body of JeM terrorist found from Pulwama dist in JK: Police
- Mizoram becomes third power-surplus state in NE: PM Modi
- Coalscam: Ex-Jharkhand CM Koda, former coal secy get 3 yr jail
- Rahul Gandhi takes charge as Congress president
With no opponent, Vijender's bout postponed
Indian boxing star Vijender Singh's next bout scheduled on April 1 has been postponed as his promoters are struggling to find an opponent for him.
"Right now we are not able to find a decent opponent for him because of his unbeaten record. Boxers in the region seem to be wary of facing him. He has become this dreaded guy, who nobody wants to face," Vijender's promoters IOS Boxing Promotions MD Neerav Tomar told PTI.
"The fight stands postponed for the time being and we are looking at dates in the last week of May after the IPL. I am hopeful that we will be able to finalise an opponent soon enough," he added.
Vijender is unbeaten after eight bouts and is the reigning WBO Asia Pacific champion.
In the April 1 fight night, the 31-year-old was originally scheduled to take on China's WBO Oriental champion Zulpikar Maimaitiali.
But that could not materialise after Maimaitiali backed out of the contest without specifying any reasons.
"Maimaitiali pulled out and it is just not working out at the moment with anybody else," Tomar said.
The Vijender-Zulpikar super middleweight contest was to be a double Asian title fight.
The Indian's WBO Asia-Pacific belt and the Chinese boxer's WBO Oriental title were to be on the line in a winner-takes-all bout.
Vijender is unbeaten in the circuit, having successfully defended his title in December last year against Tanzania's Francis Cheka.
Vijender had won the title by defeating Australia’s Kerry Hope in a bout held in Delhi.
Vijender’s prowess had been proven even before winning the title due to his unbeaten streak since turning pro.
The April 1 fight night was also supposed to mark the professional debut of Olympians — Akhil Kumar and Jitender Kumar.
Tomar said the venue of the bout will continue to be Mumbai.
- Sindhu trounces Yamaguchi in Dubai 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- ‚ÄėWill leave Vijender beaten & broken‚Äô 16 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Singles 16 Dec 2017 | Agencies
- Neroca register thrilling win on home debut 16 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Bhaag Chhangte Bhaag! 16 Dec 2017 | Aditya K Halder
- time for Delhi to get into groove 16 Dec 2017 | Aditya K Halder
- Malinga not in T2O squad 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Smith stands in England‚Äôs way 16 Dec 2017 | AFP
- Singles 15 Dec 2017 | Agencies
- Real Madrid rally to beat Al Jazira 15 Dec 2017 | AP
Sunday EditionView All
10 Dec 2017 | AFP | Seoul
North Korea blamed US "nuclear blackmail" for soaring tensions over its weapons programme in rare meetings with a senior UN official, but agreed to regular communication with the organisation, state media said today. Jeffrey Feltman arrived in Beijing today after wrapping up a five-day visit to Pyongyang aimed at defusing the crisis, just a week after North Korea said it test-fired a new ballistic missile capable of reaching the United States...
STATE EDITIONSView All
16 Dec 2017 | PNS | Chandigarh
Eyeing 2019 Assembly and Parliamentary polls, Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal on Friday asked the senior bureaucrats to rise above considerations of caste and religion and assist the Government in framing such policies which met the aspirations of the people. The Chief Minster while speaking at the inaugural session of the three-day chintan shivir for Cabinet Ministers, IAS, IPS and IFS at Timber Trail Heights, in Parwanoo asked them to finalise...