- Chidambaram attacks BJP over deleting dialogues in 'Mersal'
- PM to visit poll-bound Gujarat tomorrow
- Srikanth stuns Axelsen; Saina, Prannoy lose in Denmark Open
- Meeting Dalai Lama major offence, China warns world leaders
- Missing Pak journalist recovered after two years
- Irani hits back at Rahul Gandhi for tweet on Jay Shah
With no opponent, Vijender's bout postponed
Indian boxing star Vijender Singh's next bout scheduled on April 1 has been postponed as his promoters are struggling to find an opponent for him.
"Right now we are not able to find a decent opponent for him because of his unbeaten record. Boxers in the region seem to be wary of facing him. He has become this dreaded guy, who nobody wants to face," Vijender's promoters IOS Boxing Promotions MD Neerav Tomar told PTI.
"The fight stands postponed for the time being and we are looking at dates in the last week of May after the IPL. I am hopeful that we will be able to finalise an opponent soon enough," he added.
Vijender is unbeaten after eight bouts and is the reigning WBO Asia Pacific champion.
In the April 1 fight night, the 31-year-old was originally scheduled to take on China's WBO Oriental champion Zulpikar Maimaitiali.
But that could not materialise after Maimaitiali backed out of the contest without specifying any reasons.
"Maimaitiali pulled out and it is just not working out at the moment with anybody else," Tomar said.
The Vijender-Zulpikar super middleweight contest was to be a double Asian title fight.
The Indian's WBO Asia-Pacific belt and the Chinese boxer's WBO Oriental title were to be on the line in a winner-takes-all bout.
Vijender is unbeaten in the circuit, having successfully defended his title in December last year against Tanzania's Francis Cheka.
Vijender had won the title by defeating Australia’s Kerry Hope in a bout held in Delhi.
Vijender’s prowess had been proven even before winning the title due to his unbeaten streak since turning pro.
The April 1 fight night was also supposed to mark the professional debut of Olympians — Akhil Kumar and Jitender Kumar.
Tomar said the venue of the bout will continue to be Mumbai.
- Singles 22 Oct 2017 | Agencies
- India maul Pakistan 4-0 to enter Final 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Red Devils stumped, City still unbeaten 22 Oct 2017 | AP
- Srikanth sails into Final; Prannoy, Saina bow out 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Mali prevail over Ghana, enter semi 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- England cruise into s/f 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- ‚ÄėIndia at home are strongest in world‚Äô 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Blue army face Kiwis in opener 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Favourites Spain up against determined Iran 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Rahane is India's 3rd opener: Virat 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
22 Oct 2017 | PTI | New Delhi
The Sharad Yadav faction of the Janata Dal (United) Party on Saturday announced election to party posts on March 11 and released a list of interim office-bearers, including Chhotubhai Vasava as working president and Ali Anwar as one of the vice-presidents. Yadav also released a list of presidents of party units in states at a press briefing...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan will reach Washington DC on October 22. He has been invited by Pt Deendayal Upadhyay Forum, where he will address as a key speaker in the programme organised by the forum...