- Chanda Kochhar to continue as MD and CEO, to go on leave till completion of internal
- CBI followed up with 6 countries to reiterate that Nirav Modi's passport was revoked
- Delhi HC asks who authorised Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal's sit-in at lieutenant
- Partly cloudy sky in Delhi, rains likely
- Kejriwal continues sit-in protest
Spiritual leader Bhaiyyuji kills self over family issues
Bhaiyyuji Maharaj, the self-styled spiritual leader, committed suicide by shooting himself in the head at his Indore residence on Tuesday afternoon.
Police have reportedly found a suicide note that indicated that the 50-year-old Bhaiyyuji (Uday Sinh Deshmukh) was depressed over some domestic issues.
Bhaiyyuji, who counted some of the country’s top politicians and celebrities among his followers, was declared dead at the Bombay hospital in Indore.
Additional Director General (ADG), Indore Range, Ajay Sharma said that Bhaiyyuji shot himself on his right temple in a room bolted from inside. Sharma said a notepad was found in his room on which he had purportedly written, “Somebody should be there to handle duties of family, I am leaving, too much stressed out, fed up”.
The people close to the spiritual guru claimed that it was his own handwriting, but the police will verify the same through experts, he said.
The exact cause behind the extreme step will be known after a detailed probe, he said. Bhaiyyuji’s first wife, Madhavi, passed away in November 2015. In April last year, he had married Dr Ayushi Sharma, a native of Shivpuri. He has a daughter from his first wife.
As the news about Bhaiyyuji’s suicide spread, a large number of his supporters gathered in front of the Bombay Hospital where the ‘godman’ was rushed after he shot himself.
The self-styled guru was known for his links with influential politicians and businessmen. Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar were among his many followers.
During the India Against Corruption campaign of 2011 for a Lokpal or anti-corruption watchdog, the Congress-led Government sent Bhaiyyuji to persuade Anna Hazare to end his fast. Anna Hazare finally accepted a glass of juice from him. Bhaiyyuji was also invited by Narendra Modi when, as Chief Minister of Gujarat, he sat on a Sadbhavna (harmony) fast.
- AK 56 recovered in Garu village 19 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- ‚ÄėGodda project progressing on firm footing‚Äô 19 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- DC reviews status of ongoing schemes 19 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Min Rawat discusses reforms for higher education sector 19 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Chouhan is MNREGA committee chairman 19 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- CM pays homage to martyr Vikas Gurung 19 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Remains of the martyr consigned to flames in Rishikesh 19 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- HC exempts Garhwal commissioner from personal appearance in court 19 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- FRI prepares for IDY programme, to remain closed for visitors on June 19-20 19 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Police arrest murder victim's wife and paramour 19 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun