21.3% girls in Odisha get married before 18 years
To influence policy and institutional reforms, the Save the Children in collaboration with the Odisha State Commission for Protection of Child Rights (OSCPCR) organised a State-level convention on early/child marriage here.
Woman and Child Development Minister Prafulla Samal inaugurated it and said that education and awareness can curb child marriage.
MLA Priyadarshi Mishra, Deputy Director Save the children Shantanu Chakraborty, Joint Director Family Welfare Dr Ajit Kumar Mohanty, OSCPCR Chairperson Kasturi Mohapatra, Deputy Director Girls Education OPEPA Kalpana Behera, Lopamudra Tripathy from Unicef, JJB member Namarta Chadha, State Commission for Women member Snehanjali Mohanty, Dr Soumya Kanta Mishra from Save the Children and Honey Patnaik from Community Radio 90.4, among others spoke.
A booklet named Stolen Childhood was released. Twelve youth champions from different districts were felicitated.
Notably, in Odisha, with 21.3 per cent of women getting married before the legal age of marriage (18 years) as per NFHS-4 data, 2016, the situation is quite alarming. The early/child marriage is rooted in genders inequality and the belief that girls and women are somehow inferior to boys and men. Poverty, lack of education, cultural practices, and insecurity fuel and sustain the practice.
- Uplift the tribals, protecting their customs: Das 25 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Renowned Mussoorie-born Author Anita Desai turns 81 25 Jun 2018 | JASKIRAN CHOPRA | in Dehradun
- Two hours of rain disrupts routine life in Nainital 25 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Anomalies fuel traffic jams in Nainital 25 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- One injured as clash erupts among youth at Kaliasot dam 25 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Kumaoni Ramleela enthralls Almora at Crankfest'18 25 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Valuables of Rs 75,000 burgled at Krishna Dham Colony 25 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Dalit beaten by Sarpanch in Tikamgarh 25 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- BJP not ready to discuss no-trust motion: Nath 25 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- MP honoured as best State for agriculture production 25 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal