BJD stand on VP after NDA declares nominee
BJD supremo and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik is understood to have been waiting for the NDA to announce its Vice-Presidential nominee after which he would take a decision whom his party would extend support to for the VP post.
It may be noted that the UPA has already announced Mahatma Gandhi’s grandson and former West Bengal Government Gopalkrishna Gandhi as its Vice-Presidential candidate. Gandhi is also a friend of Patnaik.
The matter was reportedly discussed during the meeting held between party MPs and the CM at the latter’s residence Naveen Nival here on Saturday.
The meeting held ahead of monsoon session of the Parliament beginning Monday was attended by 21 of the party’s 28 MPs in both the Houses of the Parliament.
Besides, the issue of resentment of western Odisha MPs for not holding any of the Parliamentary posts was also discussed. While Balangir MP Keliksh Singh Deo brought to the notice of Patnaik that western Odisha people have been hurt as none of their MPs hold any of the Parliamentary post, the latter readily agreed to look into the matter at the earlist.
While Cuttack MP Bhartruhari Mahtab is leader of the BJD Parliamentary Party, Dhenkanal MP Tathagata Satpathy is Chief Whip and Puri MP Pinaki Mishra is a Standing Committee Chairman. Similarly, Baleswar MP Rabindra Jena is PSU Committee member. Nawarangpur MP Balabhadra Majhi has been nominated to the Committee on SC and ST.
It was also decided that BJD MPs would demand for setting up of Tribunal for rightful solution of the Mahanadi water dispute, raising Minimum Support Price (MSP) of paddy to Rs 2,930 and allowing coal-bearing States to impose green tax. The BJD MPs would also demand authority to impose green tax under GST purview by the coal bearing states. This apart, the party MPs would also demand for Special Category State (SCS) status for the State and outstanding railway projects, said Singh Deo.
- Himalayan region shows lack of political will: Chipko leader 12 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- CM meets Javadekar, Prasad 12 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Working committee meeting to be held in State on Dec 17 12 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Ex CM Rawat confuses people: Ajay Bhatt 12 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Minister listens to people‚Äôs grievances at Janata Milan 12 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Margin money a concern for Rural Bus applicants 12 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Student leaders seek removal of Exam controller 12 Dec 2017 | PRAGYA PALLAVI | in Ranchi
- Nothing but waste of public money 12 Dec 2017 | Gp Semwal | in Dehradun
- Seth holds meeting for Khadi, Saras Mela 12 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Villagers angry as Gairsain debate lingers on 12 Dec 2017 | Gajendra Singh Negi | in Dehradun