- Militant, among 3 killed in J&K forest shootout
- 15 dead Maoists fished out of Maharashtra river; toll 37
- Saroj Khan backs casting couch, says film industry 'at least' gives jobs
- Pakistan hockey hero seeks heart transplant in India
- India strongly raises terrorism issue at SCO FMs' meet in China
- Trump admin toughens H1-B visa procedure
- PM launches Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan
- Kathua rape-murder: Cop, SPO arrested by SIT move J-K HC
BMC fees on dharna, processions decried
A day after the Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC) imposed levies on demonstrations and processions, various organisations and intellectuals on Thursday took to the streets opposing the decision.
The protestors, including BJP activists, held demonstration at the Master Canteen Square here and shouted slogans against the BMC. BJP leader Dilip Mohanty said the BMC decision is curtailing the fundamental rights of the citizens to hold demonstration to air their grievances before the Government.
Mohanty also questioned if the BMC Mayor is above the Constitution. The BJP would fight tooth and nail against the decision and gherao the BMC Office if the decision is not withdrawn immediately, he warned.
Another protestor said the State Government has lost faith of the people; so it is now trying to strangle their voice and curb their protests.
The Utkal Sammilani also opposed the BMC decision. Sammilani Mancheswar branch president Dillip Dashsharma said while some organisations hold demonstration for their jobs and salaries, organisations like the Utkal Sammilani hold protests to fight for the overall interests of the State and the country. So, charging levies on that is not justified.
He urged the BMC to withdraw the fees at the earliest.
- Collective approach needed to curb malnutrition: Marandi 25 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Inbrief 25 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Para teachers call off strike on assurance 25 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Yoga centre to be handed over to Central Council 25 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- CM for changes in PDS system 25 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Painting workshop organised by Jawahar Bal Bhavan 25 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- 152nd anniversary of Allahabad Bank observed in Bhopal 25 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- 5th anniversary of JLU held 25 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Ahead of foreign tour, CM attracts opp's criticism 25 Apr 2018 | Nishu Mahajan | in Chandigarh
- Capt agrees for renaming Phagwara‚Äôs Gol Chowk as Samvidhan Chowk 25 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh