Intl meet on maritime trade from Mar 20 in city
In a first-of-its-kind confluence of the Indian Ocean Rim (IOR) countries in India, a three-day international conference on maritime trade and civilisational link would begin here from March 20. This was informed by Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Dharmendra Pradhan at a Press conference here on Saturday. Pradhan said the conference on ‘India and the Indian Ocean: Renewing the Maritime Trade and Civilisational Linkages’ would be organised by the Institute of Social and Cultural Studies (ISCS) along with the Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS). Twenty nations from the IOR region would attend the conference supported by eight important Ministries of the Central Government such as External Affairs, Petroleum and Natural Gas, Power, Shipping, Commerce and Industry, Culture, Tourism and Agriculture.
He said Minister of External Affairs Sushma Swaraj would inaugurate the conference while Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar would attend as chief guest at the valedictory session. Other reputed members including National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval, Ambassador KV Bhagirath and the IORA Secretary General would attend the conference, he added. Conference Reception Committee Chairman Haraprasad Das informed that the event would have parallel sessions and serious deliberations on vital issues like trade linkages, migration and diaspora in the IOR, trade and investment, blue economy, promoting maritime cooperation, maritime safety and security in the IOR countries.
Pradhan said the reception committee would release a booklet on Odisha’s maritime trade history. The event would be marked by the release of a postal stamp on ‘Indian Ocean and Rajendra Chola I’ commemorating the occasion and the glorious maritime past, he added.
- One more farmer commits suicide 24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Death of 17 patients at MY Hospital: Administration yet to explain cause 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Bhopal
- 10% reservation in jobs for statehood activists: PIL referred to three-judge Bench 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Missing case of 17-yr-old boy: HC pulls up police for inaction 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- ICAI Bhopal branch holds Yoga Day 24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Numbers of swamp deer dwindling: Experts 24 Jun 2017 | Radhika Nagrath | in Dehradun
- Burglars decamp with goods worth Rs 1L in Eintkhedi 24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- HC seeks State’s reply on basic amenities in Govt schools by next week 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Five robbers arrested in 3 days, two bikes seized 24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- In brief 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi