Intl meet on maritime trade from Mar 20 in city
In a first-of-its-kind confluence of the Indian Ocean Rim (IOR) countries in India, a three-day international conference on maritime trade and civilisational link would begin here from March 20. This was informed by Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Dharmendra Pradhan at a Press conference here on Saturday. Pradhan said the conference on ‘India and the Indian Ocean: Renewing the Maritime Trade and Civilisational Linkages’ would be organised by the Institute of Social and Cultural Studies (ISCS) along with the Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS). Twenty nations from the IOR region would attend the conference supported by eight important Ministries of the Central Government such as External Affairs, Petroleum and Natural Gas, Power, Shipping, Commerce and Industry, Culture, Tourism and Agriculture.
He said Minister of External Affairs Sushma Swaraj would inaugurate the conference while Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar would attend as chief guest at the valedictory session. Other reputed members including National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval, Ambassador KV Bhagirath and the IORA Secretary General would attend the conference, he added. Conference Reception Committee Chairman Haraprasad Das informed that the event would have parallel sessions and serious deliberations on vital issues like trade linkages, migration and diaspora in the IOR, trade and investment, blue economy, promoting maritime cooperation, maritime safety and security in the IOR countries.
Pradhan said the reception committee would release a booklet on Odisha’s maritime trade history. The event would be marked by the release of a postal stamp on ‘Indian Ocean and Rajendra Chola I’ commemorating the occasion and the glorious maritime past, he added.
- State in dilemma over SC orders on Padmaavat release 19 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Social isolation, growing epidemic today, say experts 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- IN BRIEF 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- CM inaugurates kill-waste machine 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Human trafficker taken on police remand 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- BHEL bags order for setting up thermal power project 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- One dies, six injured in separate road accidents 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- FRI scientist feted with‚ÄúAdarsh Vidya Saraswati Rashtriya Puraskar‚ÄĚ 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Cops arrest one in case of broad-day light murder within the Roorkee court premises 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Two police stations,one reporting police post set up 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun