- Chidambaram attacks BJP over deleting dialogues in 'Mersal'
- PM to visit poll-bound Gujarat tomorrow
- Srikanth stuns Axelsen; Saina, Prannoy lose in Denmark Open
- Meeting Dalai Lama major offence, China warns world leaders
- Missing Pak journalist recovered after two years
- Irani hits back at Rahul Gandhi for tweet on Jay Shah
Memo to SRC to declare Balangir areas drought-hit
Several farmers and PRI representatives led by Bolangir District Central Cooperative Bank president Laxman Meher, Deogaon Panchyat Samiti Chairman Reena Meher, Gudvella block Chairman Ashok Dora and others on Wednesday submitted a memorandum to Special Relief Commissioner Bishnupada Sethi during his visit to the district.
Due to irregular and inadequate rainfall, in around 1,130 villages out of 1,663 in 223 gram panchyats of the district, the paddy crop was affected leading to a drought like situation.
This year, the Balangir district has received 36 per cent less rainfall and paddy crop in Gudvella, Agalpur, Saintala, Muribhal Belpada, Bongomunda, Tureikela, Patnagarh, Loisingha, and Khaprakhol blocks has been affected by over 50 per cent.
The memorandum demands that where paddy crop loss is more than 50 per cent, the areas should be declared as drought-hit. The other demands include early completion of the lower Suktel irrigation project to provide assured irrigation to paddy crop and construction of barrage over rivers like Tel, Sonegada, Under, Mayabati and Rahul.
As the Kharif paddy crop has been lost, steps should be taken to provide Rabi seed, fertiliser and other agri-equipment to the distressed farmers. Besides, traditional water bodies should be revived and water should be conserved. Also, steps to provide jobs to worker through MGNREGS and check distress migration should be taken, the memorandum demanded.
- Three-day film festival on Kundan Shah from Oct 25 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Women of self-help groups earn Rs 200 per day making teddy bears 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- 3 people killed in group clash 21 Oct 2017 | PNS | in Bhopal
- Odisha-Jharkhand system changes day-night temp in MP 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Police nab accused in flesh trade racket 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Daughters of widow and visually challenged get admission in school 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- 23-yr old youth dies in mishap 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Bogus names in voters' lists across MP: Cong 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Youth kills himself after money dispute with father 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Furniture gutted in Peergate fire 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal