Memo to SRC to declare Balangir areas drought-hit
Several farmers and PRI representatives led by Bolangir District Central Cooperative Bank president Laxman Meher, Deogaon Panchyat Samiti Chairman Reena Meher, Gudvella block Chairman Ashok Dora and others on Wednesday submitted a memorandum to Special Relief Commissioner Bishnupada Sethi during his visit to the district.
Due to irregular and inadequate rainfall, in around 1,130 villages out of 1,663 in 223 gram panchyats of the district, the paddy crop was affected leading to a drought like situation.
This year, the Balangir district has received 36 per cent less rainfall and paddy crop in Gudvella, Agalpur, Saintala, Muribhal Belpada, Bongomunda, Tureikela, Patnagarh, Loisingha, and Khaprakhol blocks has been affected by over 50 per cent.
The memorandum demands that where paddy crop loss is more than 50 per cent, the areas should be declared as drought-hit. The other demands include early completion of the lower Suktel irrigation project to provide assured irrigation to paddy crop and construction of barrage over rivers like Tel, Sonegada, Under, Mayabati and Rahul.
As the Kharif paddy crop has been lost, steps should be taken to provide Rabi seed, fertiliser and other agri-equipment to the distressed farmers. Besides, traditional water bodies should be revived and water should be conserved. Also, steps to provide jobs to worker through MGNREGS and check distress migration should be taken, the memorandum demanded.
- Police probing from different angles in dead bodies‚Äô case 18 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- PRSI wins award 18 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Free cataract operation held at Arogyam Hospital 18 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Workshop on MGNREGA audit organised 18 Dec 2017 | Nityanand Dubey | in Ranchi
- Chakardharpur wins football tournament 18 Dec 2017 | VINOD PRASAD | in Ranchi
- MGM embarks on cleanliness drive 18 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Lankan Anura Rohana sweeps 16th Tata Open 18 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Jamshedpur Carnival to kick start today 18 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Kobad Ghandy rearrested days after release from bail 18 Dec 2017 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- Youths participate in Dehradun Half Marathon in large number 18 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun