Nabard, UGB join hands for women empowerment
About 25 years back, the Nabard started the SHG-bank linkage programme in the country. Through this intervention, many grass roots informal congregations of rural women were made not only helping them in securing loans from the formal sources but also resulting in their empowerment.
The intervention, which once started as an alternative for linking un-banked poor to the formal credit system, now has become a successful model of securing livelihoods. As on March 31 this year, 4.32 lakh SHGs have been savings-linked and 2.20 lakh SHGs have been credit-linked with the banking system in Odisha. The average loan per SHG account in the State stands at 1.41 lakh.
A mega camp for credit linkage of SHGs was organised in Thuamul Rampur block of Kalahandi district recently. This block is the most backward in the district with more than 80% tribal population. The programme was attended by Nabard Odisha CGM Dr KC Panigrahi and Utkal Grameen Bank Chairman Ranjit Kumar Mishra, among others.
Over 2000 women SHG members participated in the camp, wherein 150 SHGs were credit-linked to UGB Gunupur, Kalahandi. An amount of Rs 1 crore was disbursed as loan to the SHGs. The credit-linked SHG members would utilise the loan amount to undertake various livelihood activities for poverty alleviation and economic empowerment.
- Rape victim commits suicide 24 Oct 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Modi‚Äôs visit: SPG IG inspects academy, ground 24 Oct 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- No school building despite funds in B‚Äôngir 24 Oct 2017 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Stir in JSpur after thief escapes cops' custody 24 Oct 2017 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- NDRF holds mock drill at Pokhariput DAV 24 Oct 2017 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Sister Cities ties between Cupertino, Bhubaneswar 24 Oct 2017 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- RCR Mirror Gallery: Magic to puzzle visitors 24 Oct 2017 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Man pushed off moving train by transgenders 24 Oct 2017 | DINESH DAS | in Bhubaneswar
- Workshop begins at IIP 24 Oct 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Cops arrest 3 thieves stealing batteries 24 Oct 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun