Nabard, UGB join hands for women empowerment
About 25 years back, the Nabard started the SHG-bank linkage programme in the country. Through this intervention, many grass roots informal congregations of rural women were made not only helping them in securing loans from the formal sources but also resulting in their empowerment.
The intervention, which once started as an alternative for linking un-banked poor to the formal credit system, now has become a successful model of securing livelihoods. As on March 31 this year, 4.32 lakh SHGs have been savings-linked and 2.20 lakh SHGs have been credit-linked with the banking system in Odisha. The average loan per SHG account in the State stands at 1.41 lakh.
A mega camp for credit linkage of SHGs was organised in Thuamul Rampur block of Kalahandi district recently. This block is the most backward in the district with more than 80% tribal population. The programme was attended by Nabard Odisha CGM Dr KC Panigrahi and Utkal Grameen Bank Chairman Ranjit Kumar Mishra, among others.
Over 2000 women SHG members participated in the camp, wherein 150 SHGs were credit-linked to UGB Gunupur, Kalahandi. An amount of Rs 1 crore was disbursed as loan to the SHGs. The credit-linked SHG members would utilise the loan amount to undertake various livelihood activities for poverty alleviation and economic empowerment.
- IN BRIEF 23 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- IN BRIEF 23 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- 3 killed, 2 injured in road mishap 23 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- 900 villages get wi-fi: IT Dept 23 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Jharkhand may withdraw consent to DBT in ration 23 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- 2 arrested in gangrape case 23 Jun 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- Woman who accused cop of destroying her married life commits suicide 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Need to continuously adapt to evolving technology: Aman 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Veteran leader Bagun Sumbrui passes away 23 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- CM for easy loans to marginalised sections 23 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi